• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

t mobile employee trapped me in contract what do I do???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

l3g4cy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Tmobile has me locked in a contract.

On november 23th 2012 i purchased a new phone from tmobile in my local mall. Everything went threw and I had my new phone and my new 2 year contract. On 11-30-12 I took the phone back to the same tmobile I bought it from. When I explained I wanted to cancle my contract and return the phone he said that is fine because I was still in a 14 day buyers return policy. When I showed him the phone he said evrything looks good and he began the cancelation process. He refunded me the money that I paid for the phone and charged me a 50 $ restocking fee which I paid. When the process was complete he relized HE made a mistake. He explained to me that the "box cover. Or sleeve that has the picture of the phone" was missing. I told him yea I dont have it. He said if I couldnt find it he coulnd return the phone to his manufacture. I said well u already gave me my money, took the phone back, and charged me a 50 $ restocking fee. And now the tmobile employee says he wont cancle my account because I dont have the sleeve to the box of thr phone. Is there anything I can do help me please. My email is- [email protected]

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Tmobile has me locked in a contract.

On november 23th 2012 i purchased a new phone from tmobile in my local mall. Everything went threw and I had my new phone and my new 2 year contract. On 11-30-12 I took the phone back to the same tmobile I bought it from. When I explained I wanted to cancle my contract and return the phone he said that is fine because I was still in a 14 day buyers return policy. When I showed him the phone he said evrything looks good and he began the cancelation process. He refunded me the money that I paid for the phone and charged me a 50 $ restocking fee which I paid. When the process was complete he relized HE made a mistake. He explained to me that the "box cover. Or sleeve that has the picture of the phone" was missing. I told him yea I dont have it. He said if I couldnt find it he coulnd return the phone to his manufacture. I said well u already gave me my money, took the phone back, and charged me a 50 $ restocking fee. And now the tmobile employee says he wont cancle my account because I dont have the sleeve to the box of thr phone. Is there anything I can do help me please. My email is- [email protected]
I don't think so. I suggest that you get written documentation of that 14-day return policy and read it over carefully. I'll bet that it requires all of the original equipment, along with the original box and packaging, for any returns to be accepted under the policy (that's pretty standard).

No one locked you into the contract but you. I suggest that you try to find the box, or enjoy your new phone under the contract you agreed to.

l3g4cy

here is the problem

I already gave them the phone they have it right now. And the tmobile employee gave me the money I paid for it. And I paid 50 $ for the restocking. So even if I dont have the phone and I paid to restock he is still not going to cancle my account. So my question is how can he hold me to a contract without having a phone to have service with??? Why should I have to stick with a contract when the employee is who first said we can take the phone back. Then after everything is returned and paid say oh. I didnt realize your missing the sleeve sorry but your going to have to stay in your contract. So now I have no phone and a contract. Is there not any law against an employee misleading a customer into beliveing that if they give them a phone and pay fees that the customer will get out of the contract...

sandyclaus

Perhaps they are holding onto it while you have an opportunity to find the missing sleeve.

As stated before, if you can't find it, they are not obligated to terminate the contract. Just because the employee may have misunderstood until the last moment doesn't make what they did unlawful or deceitful in any way. The employee is not obligated to let you out of the contract when you failed to meet the requirements for a valid return under their return policy.

If you can't come up with the missing sleeve, I would suggest that you go back to the store and get your phone and your $50 back. That is something you ARE entitled to.

EmmeRose

Companies will let you get out of their contract usually for a fee of somewhere between $300-$600. I'd suggest you look into that.

EmmeRose

You're in luck. I looked it up for you and guess what, it was less than I thought. On their website they write:

An Early Termination Fee is a charge made to your account when you cancel service and end your service agreement with T-Mobile early. The ETF is intended to provide reasonable compensation to T-Mobile for the losses it suffers when you do not remain a customer for the full term of your service agreement. The ETF is charged for each line being canceled on the account. If you have more than 180 days left on your contract, the ETF is $200.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2938

l3g4cy

thanks

Thanks for the help. But I called up tmobile to see if my contract was still open and they said it has been cancled. So I assume that since I never came back with the sleeve that the manager in tmobile store must have just cancled it without the sleeve. I consider myself lucky to have gotten out the contract because all he had to do was say I cant give u a refund without the sleeve but instead he did. But now that my tmobile contract is cancled im having such a great time using my new carrier sprint and my new phone the galaxy note 2! Thanx for the help and opinions. I will definity bookmark this page. This is a realy good site. And to think I almost was going to go to a website and pay a laywer to anser this question for me....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">