• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AT&T Telemarketer LIED Must I pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mountaingirl

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

I sure hope you can help me. A telemarketer for AT&T promised me a program with a specific monthly rate to include all telephone services including local calling. I questioned her several times about this, and understood completely what she was offering. When I accepted her offer, it seems AT&T substituted another plan without local calling and has billed me three times as much. I don't want to pay this bill, since it is not what I was promised. They have responded very poorly and have sent the bill to a collection agency that is calling daily and writing threatening letters.

It's a matter of principal - I don't think I should pay triple for what I didn't order. Anybody know what I should do next?

Thanks for your help.

M

mountaingirl

Thanks for your quick reply.

It was a telemarketer. I did not get writing. I did specify what she offered me, though, when being recorded. My answer was not merely a "yes". It was "I will change to AT&T only if they provide both unlimited long distance and local calling for $39.95 per month as the telemarketer described to me". I guess I thought they would have to pull out their tapes to claim that I authorized the change, and maybe my answer would plead my case. Is it truly hopeless? Do telemarketers have that kind of power? She offered me that plan - including voicemail, call waiting, caller ID and all, and an AT&T person the next day assured me that everything I was promised I would get for the price it was promised me.

A MONTH later, I got a welcome packet that said NOTHING about local calling, and a bill that charged .15 per minute! How can they get away with flat-out lying? Isn't there a "bait and switch" law or something?

Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">