• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AT&T tresspasses on customer property, rips out wiring, says "we'll do it again"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seniorjudge

The woods are full of telephone installers who do NOT work for AT&T

I contacted an attorney; he told me to send a sternly worded certified letter to the regional office seeking remedy, and if they do not respond to my satisfaction, he would take the case..

This lawyer sounds goofy. Don't use him/her/it.

Ozark_Sophist

I'd hate to contract with the co-op electric company to wire my house, then install a wind generator and solar to go off the grid, and have the co-op come back and rip the wire out of the house. :)

donbmad

kingnacho said:
Did they rip the wires out of the house or only cut them at the junction box?
The ripped out the wires between the junction box and my house; I had locked my crawlspace (thankfully) and they could not get into the house.

I ask because AT&T owns the junction box, not you.
Perhaps so, but I own my yard and my house, and they didn't have my permission to be there at that point.

baystategirl said:
Just thought I would mention that there has been over 11,000 hit on this thread in 24 hours. I don't think I have ever seen that before!!
I suppose that regardless of the legality of AT&T's actions, this may show that most of us agree it was an absurd action. If nothing else, people have a little more knowledge about what "The New AT&T"(TM) is really about.

seniorjudge said:
Yes, that's probably my best option. I'll just keep my eyes open, call around and live with what I have until then.

seniorjudge said:
This lawyer sounds goofy. Don't use him/her/it.
Duly noted. I don't think I'm suing at this point... I was just really angry (still am a little). I think justifiably so, but I don't see how suing would help anyone except my lawyer and theirs.

Ozark_Sophist said:
I'd hate to contract with the co-op electric company to wire my house, then install a wind generator and solar to go off the grid, and have the co-op come back and rip the wire out of the house. :)
Yeah, could you imagine? ;)

P.S. -- To all who responded and will respond, I really do appreciate your time, advice, and recommendations.

seniorjudge

Actually, they do have the right to be on your property.

But, in any event, file a complaint with these folks:

http://www.psc.state.fl.us/

It won't do you any good but the phone company absolutely hates having complaints filed against it in a regulatory commission.

Write your complaint as factually and as emotionless as possible.

Most complaints against utilities in utility commissions are from people who have not paid their bills. (Go figure!) So your complaint could be a breath of fresh air.

It may even get those commissioners off their lazy [descriptive noun deleted by censors] and get something done!

But don't count on it....:D:D:D

justalayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorjudge

Yes, that's probably my best option. I'll just keep my eyes open, call around and live with what I have until then.
are any of the contractors I listed close to you? I can;t do all the work for you.

Like I said, I can even teach you how to do this yourself if you know which way is up and are not color blind.

donbmad

It won't do you any good but the phone company absolutely hates having complaints filed against it in a regulatory commission.

Write your complaint as factually and as emotionless as possible.
Not a problem... I'll be very Stoic in my letter :)

Most complaints against utilities in utility commissions are from people who have not paid their bills. (Go figure!) So your complaint could be a breath of fresh air.

It may even get those commissioners off their lazy [descriptive noun deleted by censors] and get something done!

But don't count on it....:D:D:D
Ha, I know better than to expect too much... I'll just let myself be heard, and the rest is outside my control. Thank you very much for your input.

andrewman327

Don't worry about the stupid law

I found this page through StumbleUpon, which drives a lot more traffic than any Fark page (I'm also a Fark member). I joined this forum to contribute to this discussion.

Anyway, the specifics of the law aren't as important as you getting a reasonable amount of money. Two days ago I got a $531 check in the mail from a contractor for a situation that is somewhat like yours. All I did was write a letter and remain very firm but not threatening with them on the phone. After one week they gave in. I don't know if I would have won a court case against them but I do know that they paid me for the damages they caused. I did tell them that I would take them to the BBB after a certain timeframe but that is different than a lawsuit and it never came to that.

Focus on sending the letter with signature confirmation first. Don't get ahead of yourself and don't get greedy. It is important that you have lots of enclosures with your letter; if nothing else it shows the legal team that you are organized and know your stuff. I included copies of all bills and copies of canceled checks to prove I paid. You should print

Post or e-mail the final copy of your letter along with a list of enclosures when you finish it and I can give you my thoughts.

Good luck,
Andrew

kingnacho

Not So

The ripped out the wires between the junction box and my house; I had locked my crawlspace (thankfully) and they could not get into the house.

Perhaps so, but I own my yard and my house, and they didn't have my permission to be there at that point.
Yeah, could you imagine? ;)

P.S. -- To all who responded and will respond, I really do appreciate your time, advice, and recommendations.
My guess is that you gave them permission by canceling your phone service.

donbmad

are any of the contractors I listed close to you? I can;t do all the work for you.

Like I said, I can even teach you how to do this yourself if you know which way is up and are not color blind.
I don't live in the Tampa Bay area, but I think I've gotten the installation part taken care of at this point. Thanks for your help.

donbmad

A crappy story :)

Aha. You broke down and called dad didn;t you?
No, actually, I just came to a full realization of the stupidity of AT&T's actions.

Forgive the crudeness here... but I think the situation is hilarious. As far as telcos are concerned, there's "my crap" (wiring inside the house that I pay to install and maintain), and "their crap" (outside wiring AT&T pays to install and maintain).

AT&T set up my crap last week. After further inspection, I realized that in order to make my crap inoperable, they ripped out their crap!

This means that if I order service from them again, my crap won't need to be part of the work order, because it's already all there. Once they replace the crap they ripped out (and may I add, they foot the bill for such work), my crap will work again... thanks guys!

By the way, I would like to repeat that I BEGGED THEM to take my money for the work. Tell me if I'm missing something here.

Last edited:

justalayman

well, since they only ripped out their crap, there is nothing wrong with what they did. You have yours and they have theirs.

They had every legal right to remove their equipment and did so.

and yes, I do not understand why they will not simply install as you wanted but if they don't want to, they don't have to.

Kind of sounds like my kids. I tell them the best way to do things all the time but you think they would listen..NNNOOOOOO!!!

and then they bitch about things not working or going right and want ME to fix the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">