• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking over payments on someone elses loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Raspberry1047

I live in California. I needed car and not very good credit......so my sister-in-laws daughter who lives in Southern California and I in the Northern part needed to get rid of her car as she already purchased a new vehicle with payments starting in 6 months. She thought she had a buyer for her car but it fell through. She asked if I wanted the car to take over payments. So I did. The car was only 3 years old and $7200 left on it. I tried to get a loan on the car and found out the car was worth a lot less owed on it. The bank would not loan the whole amount left on the loan. Then I found out that the daughter was separated from her husband and that his father was the co-signer on the loan. Because I was 10 days late on the payment a few times this father got upset and he wants his name off the title. The problem is, is I have made 7 payments on the car, smogged it and registered and the man threatens to take the car and I have no legal recourse. I have gone to the bank again and now the car is less more and the bank will not loan on it. A personal loan will be high interest make the price of the car even higher.
Is there some legal paper that the father and I could draw up to make myself liable for the car and the payments and then it will be paid off in 24 months. I pay for the car insurance on this car also. A personal contract of some kind perhaps?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">