• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking over title of third party vehicle in Auto Pawn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lincoln52

Lincoln in Denver Colorado

My girlfriend is thinking of paying off the note of a friend at an Auto Pawn. The friend states they are tired of paying the ticket and would be happy to let her pay it off and then sell the car for a profit. Aside from the problems surrounding whether this is actually a sale that can be made, it strikes me that this is an extremely awkward situation.

1. Who currently possesses the title? Pawn broker or Friend
2. I am making the following assumptions: Auto Pawn gets paid, they don't care by who. Either they must return title to friend or the friend already has title and this removes a lean. Any transfer of vehicle between my girlfriend and her friend is after the fact and completely independent. I see no way to compel this second step when the friend either does not have the title or there is already a lean on it. I assume there is no way to place a second lean on it.
3. To make matters worse, the Auto Pawn will not release the vehicle to take it to a mechanic and have it checked out. They will only release the vehicle if the ticket gets paid. This is according to the friend.

Sounds almost like a scam. Is there some way of making this a relatively safe transaction?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Pawn shop has a lien. Friend is titled owner. I would first confirm release of lien balance and acceptance of payment from pawnbroker is possible, then have friend process title transfer on back of title. Make payment and secure release of lien from broker, than submit all paperwork for your title. Confirm it can be done this way by the CO DOR FIRST.

latigo

Lincoln in Denver Colorado

My girlfriend is thinking of paying off the note of a friend at an Auto Pawn. The friend states they are tired of paying the ticket and would be happy to let her pay it off and then sell the car for a profit. Aside from the problems surrounding whether this is actually a sale that can be made, it strikes me that this is an extremely awkward situation.

1. Who currently possesses the title? Pawn broker or Friend
2. I am making the following assumptions: Auto Pawn gets paid, they don't care by who. Either they must return title to friend or the friend already has title and this removes a lean. Any transfer of vehicle between my girlfriend and her friend is after the fact and completely independent. I see no way to compel this second step when the friend either does not have the title or there is already a lean on it. I assume there is no way to place a second lean on it.
3. To make matters worse, the Auto Pawn will not release the vehicle to take it to a mechanic and have it checked out. They will only release the vehicle if the ticket gets paid. This is according to the friend.

Sounds almost like a scam. Is there some way of making this a relatively safe transaction?
The pawn shop would not have loaned money against the car unless they were presented with both the car and the title.

And your girlfriend needs to check into the nearest medical clinic for the help she desperately needs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">