• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Company Won't Honor Their Guarantee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laditygr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

IL

I had a tax prep company do my 2008 taxes, federal and 2 states (IL and IN).

I later came to find out that there were mistakes made on the state taxes. When I contacted the company to get the mistakes corrected, they gave me the run around and ultimately refused to do anything about it, even though it was their employee that made the mistakes. Are they required by law to fix the problem, and pay the interest and penelty fees that the Indiana Dept of Revenue is charging me due to the mistakes made on my taxes?

If they are required and refuse, can I sue them to recover the money I am out? Should I get a lawyer or should I just take them to small claims court?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

Are they required by law to fix the problem,
No.

and pay the interest and penelty fees that the Indiana Dept of Revenue is charging me due to the mistakes made on my taxes?
No. Either would be governed by the agreement you had with the tax prepreation service. Ultimately you, not the tax place, is responsible for your tax returns. You need to read the agreement you had with the tax company and what is included in their guarantees, if they have any.

tranquility

Everything depends on the specific "mistake" and the law. Even then, the true damages to you is almost assuredly *not* the tax and interest, but the penalty.

Some facts would be useful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">