• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

television contract breach

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nicki22

I live in South Carolina and am trying to get out of my 2-year, television reporter contract. (Contract expires 9/04) My father passed away about four months ago and my mother needs me home for finacial reasons. My boss told me to take time off before quitting...I did this past week and I was called -six- times by superiors telling me the vacation was not approved and they were furious with me. (The vacation time -was- approved and I have the documents to prove it which I showed Human Resources this morning) Bottom line, the station is disorganized, I feel as if I was harrased on my vacation, now, I tried to give my two weeks notice today and I was told I can't due to the contract. Corporate is looking into the situation, as is HR, but I'm told I will need to repay "a lot" of money for breach of contract. I don't mind repaying moving expenses, but I feel I was wronged last week over my vacation, plus, I feel the situation is out of my control if I have a family issue which needs my attention out of state. Do I have any rights here to protect me?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nicki22 said:
I live in South Carolina and am trying to get out of my 2-year, television reporter contract. (Contract expires 9/04) My father passed away about four months ago and my mother needs me home for finacial reasons. My boss told me to take time off before quitting...I did this past week and I was called -six- times by superiors telling me the vacation was not approved and they were furious with me. (The vacation time -was- approved and I have the documents to prove it which I showed Human Resources this morning) Bottom line, the station is disorganized, I feel as if I was harrased on my vacation, now, I tried to give my two weeks notice today and I was told I can't due to the contract. Corporate is looking into the situation, as is HR, but I'm told I will need to repay "a lot" of money for breach of contract. I don't mind repaying moving expenses, but I feel I was wronged last week over my vacation, plus, I feel the situation is out of my control if I have a family issue which needs my attention out of state. Do I have any rights here to protect me?

My response:

Assuming there have been no violations of Federal law by your employer; e.g., FMLA, then you have no rights other than what are contained in your contract. Since we can't read your contract, I cannot offer you any further advice other than to see your local attorney for a consultation and contract review.

IAAL

M

mobopp

Hmm which station, i worked at channel 25 and 19 in columbia 13 in florence and 2 and 4 in charleston

6 months on the job, doesnt look good for you.

I guess you will get to know how Southern Rednecks operate, it will be a great learning experience for you, although expensive.

Last edited:

spawn_x

why'd you even pick up the phone on your vacation?

i woulda hanged up if its them.

if they wanted to fire you - good.

C

carlsonbrown

handle your business

First, I would like to say I'm sorry for your loss. To then have to deal with insensitivity from your job,whom I'm sure you devote more hours than you should. Life is too short not to take care of the ones you love. With our world in the state it is in, I can't believe your job hasn't put you on the first flight home to deal with your family , hold your spot open, hire a temp. Employers wonder why there is no job loyalty. On to other things, I work in television as well. I'm surprised that that you don't have a union, agent or manager who could step in for you to negotiate this issue. Isn't there a family leave sick act in place? What about your station's legal dept say? I'm sure they wouldn't want any type of wrongful termination or forcing someone to leave/not hire back etc, do to circumstances beyond your control? Sounds a bit odd to me--but I'm not an attorney. I hope things work out for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">