• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terms and Conditions violated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kreten

I live in Ohio. I have a problem with gaming entertainment company Electronic Arts

They have banbed my account but from what I understand from terms and conditions. I still have the right to cancel the account. Can someone read this over and tell me if that in fact does enable me to have the account deleted. If yes what should I do I have exhausted all the options besides legal way.

EA may terminate access to any* online or mobile products and/or EA Services (and/or any portion thereof) at any time by giving you notice of such termination within the time period specified when you joined the particular EA Service, or if no time period for notice of termination was specified, then within thirty (30) days of the date such notice is either (at EA’s discretion) provided to you via email or is posted on the applicable product or EA Service or on http://www.ea.com/2/service-updates.

EA may also terminate access to EA Services for violation of this Terms of Service, if EA (in its sole discretion) deems that your use of EA Services renders EA Services less safe for others and/or minors* or for illegal or improper use of EA Services, Content, Entitlement, products, or EA's Intellectual Property as determined by EA in its sole discretion.* You may lose your user name and persona as a result of* termination.* If you have more than one (1) Account, EA may terminate all of your Accounts and all related Entitlements.* In response to a violation of these Terms of Service or any other agreement applicable to EA Services accessed by you, EA may issue you a warning, suspend your Account, selectively remove, revoke or garnish Entitlements at an Account and/or device level , immediately terminate any and all Accounts that you have established and/or temporarily or permanently ban your device and/or machine from accessing all EA Services or certain EA Services.* You acknowledge that in such an instance EA is not required to provide you notice before taking action to suspend or terminate your Account, temporarily or permanently banning your device from some or all EA Services or selectively removing, revoking or garnishing Entitlements associated with your Account.* If EA terminates your Account, you may not participate in an EA Service again without EA's express permission.* EA reserves the right to refuse to keep Accounts for, and provide EA Services to, any individual.* You may not allow individuals whose Accounts have been terminated by EA to use your Account.

If your Account, or a particular subscription for an EA Service associated with your Account, is terminated, suspended and/or if any Entitlements are selectively removed, revoked or garnished from your Account and/or if your device is temporarily or permanently banned from accessing some or all EA Services, no refund will be granted, no Entitlements will be credited to you or converted to cash or other forms of reimbursement, and you will have no further access to your Account or Entitlements associated with your Account or the particular EA Service.* If you believe that any action has been taken against your Account or device in error, please contact Customer Support at help.ea.com, support.popcap.com (for PopCap products) or swtor.com/support (for Star Wars™: The Old Republic).

10. Cancellation of your Account

You have the right to cancel your Account or a particular subscription to an EA Service at any time.* If you do not agree to the terms in this Terms of Service, your sole remedy is to not use EA Services and to cancel your Account or applicable subscriptions.* You understand and agree that the cancellation of your Account or a particular subscription is your sole right and remedy with respect to any dispute with EA, including any dispute related to, or arising out of: (1) any term of this Terms of Service or EA's enforcement or application of this Terms of Service; (2) the Content and Entitlements available through EA Services or any change in Content or Entitlements provided through EA Services; (3) your ability to access and/or use EA Services and/or any Content or Entitlements thereon; or (4) the amount or type of fees, surcharges, applicable taxes, billing methods, or any change to the fees, applicable taxes, surcharges or billing methods for EA Services and/or any Content or Entitlements thereon.

Contact EA's Customer Service Department at help.ea.com, support.popcap.com (for PopCap products) or swtor.com/support (for Star Wars™: The Old Republic) to cancel your Account.* EA reserves the right to collect fees, surcharges or costs incurred before you cancel your Account or a subscription to an EA Service.* You are also responsible for any amounts owed to third-party vendors or content providers before your cancellation.* Any delinquent or unpaid fees and other unresolved issues with EA Services must be settled before you establish a new Account.

Thank you!

Kreten

Why do you want to cancel the account?

Why are they not letting you?
I want to sell my Microsoft Gamertag to a relative, they refused to dissassociate this microsoft property from the account, so I want the account closed.
I just don't want to be associated with them anymore in any shape or form. They gave my personal information to origin.com, liveperson.net

They say they are not allowed to touch my account because it's banned (in other words game developer left a comment on my account to not touch it)So they escalate my issue and higher up people reply to me about separate issue not even what I asked for and close the case. It has been going on like this for two months of me trying to have this resolved.
From what I understand that it says in these TOS is that they have right to ban account for any reason at any time they choose in the first article there. In the second it states that I have right to have account canceled at any time i choose for any reason and including a dispute about tos enforcement (bann etc.)

Last edited:

Kreten

I keep getting an impression from speaking to them and them hanging up, ending chats, closing cases. Is that they know they are a big company and they feel like they can bully anyone around as they please. I spoke with over 50 techs and 45 of them just refused to do anything and end the chat, all while they all even refuse to read and know their own Terms and Conditions. One that actually took time to read these two articles said that yes I do have all the right to have the account closed or at least Microsoft property removed from it, but he said "I'm affraid If I touch your account that I'll get fired. Because the developer left a comment not to touch the account." I believe if I agree to those terms that is a contract between me and that company. I have to obide by it as well as they do too. If I break the rules I get punished, but what about in this case they are breaking the rules too?

Last edited:

swalsh411

I don't understand why it matters to you whether or not your account is "canceled". You're not paying them any more, and you're not using their services right? So why does it matter to you? Anything you provided to them is their property now. You cannot force them to delete your information if that is what you are wondering.

Kreten

I don't understand why it matters to you whether or not your account is "canceled". You're not paying them any more, and you're not using their services right? So why does it matter to you? Anything you provided to them is their property now. You cannot force them to delete your information if that is what you are wondering.
I want it canceled as if my Microsoft Gamertag is linked to it in any way I cant sell it. And any information I gave them is theirs but that they follow our contracts TOS and Privacy Policy. They gave my information to someone else and my Microsoft Gamertag can't be their property as its Microsoft and my own property, but they are not just holding information about the account but microsoft account itself. Making it impossible for me to sell it

The two sections of those tos i have provided cover everything there is about having account banned and about cancelation. Im just asking other peoples iterpretation of what those Terms of Service are saying. What are the things that would prevent me from them having to cancel my account

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I want it canceled as if my Microsoft Gamertag is linked to it in any way I cant sell it. And any information I gave them is theirs but that they follow our contracts TOS and Privacy Policy. They gave my information to someone else and my Microsoft Gamertag can't be their property as its Microsoft and my own property, but they are not just holding information about the account but microsoft account itself. Making it impossible for me to sell it

The two sections of those tos i have provided cover everything there is about having account banned and about cancelation. Im just asking other peoples iterpretation of what those Terms of Service are saying. What are the things that would prevent me from them having to cancel my account
Your account has been canceled. What's the problem?

(And, remember, inability to sell your gamertag isn't a "problem" as it's not allowed anyway.)

Kreten

Your account has been canceled. What's the problem?

(And, remember, inability to sell your gamertag isn't a "problem" as it's not allowed anyway.)
Again missing the point account isnt canceled. And Im asking what does their agreement say. And after thousands of hours of earning points etc. Those are my points and achievements. So technicaly I'm not selling gamertag but giving it to someone and they are paying me for my time and effort. But what I do with Microsoft account EA has no authority over

Zigner

Again missing the point account isnt canceled. And Im asking what does their agreement say. And after thousands of hours of earning points etc. Those are my points and achievements. So technicaly I'm not selling gamertag but giving it to someone and they are paying me for my time and effort. But what I do with Microsoft account EA has no authority over
Aside from the :rolleyes: that comes to mind...

Microsoft has that covered. You aren't allowed to "transfer" the account.

Zigner

Again missing the point account isnt canceled.
You aren't going to be able to force them to do anything differently than they have.

ETA: I think the problem you have is that you think that "cancelling" the account means deleting it.

Kreten

Aside from the :rolleyes: that comes to mind...

Microsoft has that covered. You aren't allowed to "transfer" the account.
Microsoft has it covered where it says I can't have anyone play on my account? Im responsible for that account and then again thats like telling me I cant sell my bank account. No I cant but I can give someone full access to it. But besides thats between me and Microsoft im seeking help with issue between me and Electronic Arts

Zigner

Microsoft has it covered where it says I can't have anyone play on my account? Im responsible for that account and then again thats like telling me I cant sell my bank account. No I cant but I can give someone full access to it. But besides thats between me and Microsoft im seeking help with issue between me and Electronic Arts
Why do you care if your account is canceled at EA? Because if it's not "canceled" then you cannot sell your gamertag.

So, the question is moot, as you are not allowed to sell/transfer your gamertag in the first place. Since you can't sell/transfer the gamertag, the question of canceling the EA account becomes irrelevant.

One is glad to be of service.

tranquility

Get over it. A lawsuit will cost more that you could make by selling "access" to the account and they company doesn't want to deal with your intransigence any longer. Even if you found that you could sell your account for more than a lawsuit would cost, since you need this thing for an improper purpose, the court will not help you in equity. Equity is the only place you can make people do things. (aka injunction)

You're over, you're done, find another path.

Kreten

You aren't going to be able to force them to do anything differently than they have.

ETA: I think the problem you have is that you think that "cancelling" the account means deleting it.
They have this thing called Personas and then you have EA account and you have option to link personas to that account. You Can always unlink those personas from the account as they are third party. So if account gets cancelled all personas get removed from account. Thats what I'm ultimately trying to accomplish. But according to their article 10 to me it translates that I can have the account cancelled at any time for any reason and that they'll respect it. They banned account but yet they still clog my email inbox with their news and updates originating from this account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">