• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Text "car lease" agreement legality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danielledna

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

A coworker let me borrow her car for a few months last year. I was inclined to purchase it so we discussed a purchasing price via text but no solid agreement was made, no papers were drafted and no title was signed over. We merely agreed on a rough price and a monthly installment for usage. As soon as summer hit the car completely fell apart resulting in over 2k worth of repairs. This person still has yet to sign over the title, leaving the car solely in their name. I have had to purchase a new car just to get to work as the car is a complete lemon. I am curious as to the legality of the text message and if I am legally obligated to pay her the remainder of the monthly payments for this vehicle. Also, just to note, I have invested around $500 in attempting to keep the car working and to no avail. I want to be done with this "deal" as I feel completely ripped off.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No worries - just give the car back in the same condition you received it and it's golden

single317dad

Whether $2500 over the course of nearly a year is even an unexpected amount for maintenance and repair is questionable. Many models of cars would cost that much for very little work. I know quite a few people with large diesel pickups (F350 and similar/1 ton class), and replacement stock tires on those are nearly $2000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">