• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

There has to be a solution to this ridiculous problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jotham

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My story:

I went into Tmobile and the day I went there they had signs posted all over stating free phone, after talking to a guy it only pertained to two select phones if you sign up for a 2 year contract. So I did. Months later after finally thinking I understand my bill something wasn't right so I called in only to find out that I am not being credited witha free phone. In fact I am being charged $460 at $25/month automatically added to my bill each month until it pays for. The phone itself is only $299.00 and that is exactly what was displayed in the store, and that is exactly what is advertised on their site. As well as the FREE phone/2 year contract promotion for the day I bought it.

I have called in multiple times, talked to multiple reps & managers, called the store where I bought it from and all calls basically end with TOUGH LUCK BUDDY glad its not my bill.

There has to be something I can do besides just take this bait and switch scam.

swalsh411

I have never heard of a "free" cell phone where you actually have to pay monthly for the length of your contract the purchase price of the phone itself. Is this pre-paid? Do you have really poor credit? What model phone did you get?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My story:

I went into Tmobile and the day I went there they had signs posted all over stating free phone, after talking to a guy it only pertained to two select phones if you sign up for a 2 year contract. So I did. Months later after finally thinking I understand my bill something wasn't right so I called in only to find out that I am not being credited witha free phone. In fact I am being charged $460 at $25/month automatically added to my bill each month until it pays for. The phone itself is only $299.00 and that is exactly what was displayed in the store, and that is exactly what is advertised on their site. As well as the FREE phone/2 year contract promotion for the day I bought it.

I have called in multiple times, talked to multiple reps & managers, called the store where I bought it from and all calls basically end with TOUGH LUCK BUDDY glad its not my bill.

There has to be something I can do besides just take this bait and switch scam.

**A: you need to put everything in writing with those people and file complaints with the state and FTC.

FlyingRon

Actually the State will be most likely ineffectual.

Go to the fcc.gov and on the side bar see the File A Complaint link.
It will take a couple of months, but your claim will be routed to someone at corporate (usually their legal department) who will be inclined to fix it.

jjayjay

Speaking from my experience, government agencies will probably tell you that they typically don't get into billing issue and they'll probably tell you that you have no right to contest if you signed the contract that is void of a verbiage that says the phone you purchased is free of charge. Before you do anything more, I would carefully read all the fine prints on anything they made you sign.

On second thought, on the receipt, if you received any, it will have itemized the items you bought. It should list the cost of monthly plan, any accessories/hardware and etc. The receipt will list the phone and the amount charged for the phone.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">