• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

they're trying to rip me off! (I think)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

laralu

Hello all,
I signed a contract to pay a certain amount of money to a consulting business. I have paid my account in full. Part of my payment was made by credit card. The business is claiming that they have not received the money from the credit card company. I have the credit card statement to prove that it has been paid already. The business claims they can charge me late fees because they have not received the money and they say it is my responsibilty to make the crdit card company pay. The credit card company tells me the transaction has gone through. The contract I signed does say that I can be charged, even taken to court for not paying, but I have proof I have paid. What can I do to get the business off my back?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

laralu said:
Hello all,
I signed a contract to pay a certain amount of money to a consulting business. I have paid my account in full. Part of my payment was made by credit card. The business is claiming that they have not received the money from the credit card company. I have the credit card statement to prove that it has been paid already. The business claims they can charge me late fees because they have not received the money and they say it is my responsibilty to make the crdit card company pay. The credit card company tells me the transaction has gone through. The contract I signed does say that I can be charged, even taken to court for not paying, but I have proof I have paid. What can I do to get the business off my back?
My response:

Like "Deepthroat" said to Woodward and Bernstein of the Washington Post, in 1972 : "Follow the money".

IAAL

L

laralu

Hello, Thanks for responding. Maybe I am a little slow... what do you mean specifically? What practical steps can I take? Thanks again.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Okay, here's what you need to do to "follow the money". You need to call your CC company and speak to an Upper level manager who's willing to discuss and give you the "routing map", on paper, of your funds from the consulting firm's use of your CC number, through processing the order, through electronic transfer of funds into the consulting company's bank account. Then, you need to call the consulting company's bank, and show them your paper trail proof of the electronic tranfer to their bank. Then, you need to know from that bank's accounting department when the funds were received (date and time) and then on what date (with confirmation) those funds were deposited into the consulting company's account.

Somewhere along the chain there was a breakdown. It is your responsibility to locate that weak link in the chain, or to verify that the funds were, in fact, received into their account.

Good luck, Woodward.

Deep Throat

L

laralu

Hey, thanks for the advice.Ive already started following that trail. We will see where I get!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">