• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Think I am being over charged and wrong by my mechanic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joshyboy

What is the name of your state Missouri (only U.S. law)?

So here is the deal. got a mechanic through a friend and my car needed a new engine (which I supplied) the mechanic quoted me $946 for labor (which I have a letter with his letter head on it stating that quote). Mechanic pick up the car on march 23rd and the engine was delivered on march 24th by a friend (who checked the engine) and it had a 30 day warranty from the salvage yard. Got a call from the mechanic on march 27th saying he almost had the old engine out and need money for parts. I supplied the mechanic with $160 for parts. Then didn't hear again from the mechanic till this morning April 3rd wanting to go over my bill and telling me my car was ready. Mechanic told me my bill was $1806. He states that the oil pan on the engine had a hole and he had to fix it. But he never called and got permission to do this. Then also he said there was a bolt in the manifold that need fixed. Which once again never got permission to fix this either. I told him up front I only had about $1000 to get this all done. He then proceeded to tell me it was ready to run and he needed as much money (at least $1000) by monday because his rent for the shop was due. I was able to get $700 together in cash and then i told him i could try to have the rest buy monday because i couldn't get anymore money off my card. So he suggested I go to autozone and pay $500 on his bill he owed to them (which I did) and he still wants another $608 before he will release my car. Also keep in mind he told me it was ready but when he was running the car for me it was making a weird noise and he said "that sound you hear is just a leak in the exhaust and I will have that fixed before friday when you bring the rest of the money" Is it legal for him to do all these extra repairs after a quote of $946 and not even contacting me about these extra repairs I didn't ok or authorize. Is there anything I can do or am I tough out of luck???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">