• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Third-party cellular contract catch!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dalibob

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

Hi, I recently signed a two-year contract with Cingular Wireless through a third-party reseller where I bought the phone and who initiated my service. I decided today that I wanted to cancel my service agreement with cingular which is not a problem as in California I have 30 days to cancel but have to pay the activation fee and any service usage I accumulated. This, also not a problem by me. The problem comes when I was looking over the paperwork and found a form I signed that I don't recall signing, but nonethess, a form that is an agreement beween me and the third-party vendor stating that becuase they are a seperate entity from Cingular wireless, they were able to offer me a great deal on the phone (I paid $62.29 -half of which was sales tax on the retail price of the phone of $330.00). According to this contract with this store, I am obligated to keep my wireless service for 180 days in order that they can receive their commissions from cingular which is how they stay in business and provide an excellent deal on the phone.

So, as it turns out, even after they assured me I had 30 days with cingular to change my mind, they ahve arranged it so that it would cost me $330.00 to do so. Is this fair? Legal? Am I legally bound to this contract? Can they hold me to it? It doesn't seem right to negate the 30 return policy like they have. Kind of bait and switch-like or something that just doesn't seem right.

Thanks.
Dale

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">