• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

timeliness of warranty repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nanomug

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Background: We purchased kitchen counters in 2009 with a 10 year warranty. Granite/polymer on the main counters and reclaimed glass/polymer on the island. Reclaimed glass being much more costly than the other material. The franchise that we purchased through was closed down by corporate who now does the warranty work for that franchise. They have been extremely slow in doing repairs. I contacted them in November of 2013 due to a counter section breaking off. The repair was done in April 2014. The countertop had installation issues which caused the problems.

The reclaimed glass developed pits, chips and cracks. The last repair in April 2014 did not hold up and we were told in May that they would replace with the main countertop material. They said the reclaimed glass was not meant to be used yet they still sell it as a counter.

We are still waiting for the island counter to be installed.

How long is reasonable to wait? This does not seem like a reasonable time frame. What can be done legally?

Dave1952

Without reading the warranty I'm only guessing but I think it may be time to have a lawyer write them a letter advising them that you are considering your other options.
I'd also check the web to see if the corporation is in trouble.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Background: We purchased kitchen counters in 2009 with a 10 year warranty. Granite/polymer on the main counters and reclaimed glass/polymer on the island. Reclaimed glass being much more costly than the other material. The franchise that we purchased through was closed down by corporate who now does the warranty work for that franchise. They have been extremely slow in doing repairs. I contacted them in November of 2013 due to a counter section breaking off. The repair was done in April 2014. The countertop had installation issues which caused the problems.

The reclaimed glass developed pits, chips and cracks. The last repair in April 2014 did not hold up and we were told in May that they would replace with the main countertop material. They said the reclaimed glass was not meant to be used yet they still sell it as a counter.

We are still waiting for the island counter to be installed.

How long is reasonable to wait? This does not seem like a reasonable time frame. What can be done legally?
Is this the kind of material that someone would normally have in stock, or is it something that has to be special ordered from the manufacturer, who has to make it to size? It can sometimes take several months to get in a special order of that nature.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am not sure that the corporate office has any legal obligation to provide warranty work for a defunct franchisee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">