• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Timeshare Purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dormckenna

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My husband and I purchased a timeshare from some "close friends" this past fall. Prior to purchase, we had discussions on the costs associated with the timeshare. They told us the only cost was the annual maintenance fee. In January, we received a special assessment from the timeshare for $700. We then contacted our "friends" and asked them if they had ever received any special assessments as they did not tell us that when we were considering the purchase. They told us that they had only received one other special assessment a few years back for $300 or so. We then contacted the timeshare and they told us that there had been special assessments four of the five years our "friends" owned it, and that they had complained about every single assessment. Obviously, our "friends" lied so they could get rid of the timeshare. Do we have any legal recourse against our friends as they did not divulge all the financial information or are we just screwed?

Hot Topic

Couldn't you have contacted the timeshare with your questions before you committed yourselves?

Did you thoroughly research timeshares? I think if you had, you would've run into red flags about investing in them.

You can take your former friends to small claims; however, depending on your state, you may not get all of your money back. If you take them to "regular" court, you'll have to pay a lawyer, which may not make it worth your while.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">