• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was told car warranty included and then charged $3,300 for service contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mel_Rehman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Believe me, I won't by a car from a used car lot again.

The guy told me that the car came with warranty, the original one was still valid.

Now when I want to pay it off, I find this $3,300 for a service contract.

Is there anything I can do?

M Rehman

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Believe me, I won't by a car from a used car lot again.

The guy told me that the car came with warranty, the original one was still valid.

Now when I want to pay it off, I find this $3,300 for a service contract.

Is there anything I can do?

M Rehman
Why did you sign a contract agreeing to purchase said service contract for $3,300.00?

Mel_Rehman

Why did you sign a contract agreeing to purchase said service contract for $3,300.00?
Because ignorantly I was listening to what he was saying it said and did not see the charge. I admit that I screwed up but my question is "Is there anything I can do about it".

M Rehman

swalsh411

With some extended warranties you can get a pro-rated refund. Do you have any coverage left?

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the "used" car dealership. New car dealerships do the same thing. People need to actually read what they are signing. If they don't understand what they are signing, then they need to bring somebody who does with them.

sandyclaus

Because ignorantly I was listening to what he was saying it said and did not see the charge. I admit that I screwed up but my question is "Is there anything I can do about it".

M Rehman
Sure. Next time you can cover your bases by reading over the sales contract before signing. If there's anything in there you don't agree with, tell them to redo the paperwork before you'll sign.

At this point, you signed for it, so you get to pay for it like you agreed to - in writing.

Zigner

I am astounded that you didn't realize that you were signing for an amount that was likely AT LEAST 20% more than you agreed to.

But, I do agree with Swalsh. Oftentimes, you are buying a contract offered by a third-party and they are sometimes willing to refund the unused portion of the warranty period.

Zigner

You're welcome. I'm sorry that you fail to read what you are signing. Good luck in life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">