• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Took part in a clinical study, was promised money "within 2 weeks"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Doodle210

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I don't know if this is the correct sub-forum, probably not, but I didn't know where this would go.

Okay, so I took part in a clinical study over 2 weeks ago, promised to get a check in the mail within 2 weeks, but I haven't gotten payed. I called them, they told me this "there was a problem sending the checks out, we'll send them ASAP." Now, I waited 2 weeks without a notification that there was a problem. In all honesty, I wouldn't have minded if they had said "we sent it, but it probably got lost in the mail." No, they said it was a problem on their end. I was told I'd get a call in 2 days for an update, that should've been Friday 9/11/15, but I didn't get any update. I've already had to borrow money and pawn things waiting for this check, $1100, and it's really ridiculous that they didn't contact me before I contacted them. Does anyone know if I could sue if I don't get the money on time?

Again, if this is in the wrong sub-forum, please feel free to move.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I don't know if this is the correct sub-forum, probably not, but I didn't know where this would go.

Okay, so I took part in a clinical study over 2 weeks ago, promised to get a check in the mail within 2 weeks, but I haven't gotten payed. I called them, they told me this "there was a problem sending the checks out, we'll send them ASAP." Now, I waited 2 weeks without a notification that there was a problem. In all honesty, I wouldn't have minded if they had said "we sent it, but it probably got lost in the mail." No, they said it was a problem on their end. I was told I'd get a call in 2 days for an update, that should've been Friday 9/11/15, but I didn't get any update. I've already had to borrow money and pawn things waiting for this check, $1100, and it's really ridiculous that they didn't contact me before I contacted them. Does anyone know if I could sue if I don't get the money on time?

Again, if this is in the wrong sub-forum, please feel free to move.

When you actually signed up for the study, what did the contract state about when you'd receive payment?

(Hopefully - for your sake - it isn't when the study itself is all done ... )

ShyCat

Relax, be a little more patient. Stuff happens, no reason to go on the warpath. It's not their fault that you are so financially strapped and they certainly didn't delay payment just to mess with you. Complaining that they didn't contact you first is silly. Would you rather they spent time calling everyone with daily updates or fixing the problem itself?

But sure, if your contract guarantees payment by a certain date, go ahead and sue if that makes you happy. In case you haven't guessed, I think it would be a waste of time and money, but then suing has never been my first solution to every little inconvenience in life. :rolleyes:

Doodle210

Relax, be a little more patient. Stuff happens, no reason to go on the warpath. It's not their fault that you are so financially strapped and they certainly didn't delay payment just to mess with you. Complaining that they didn't contact you first is silly. Would you rather they spent time calling everyone with daily updates or fixing the problem itself?

But sure, if your contract guarantees payment by a certain date, go ahead and sue if that makes you happy. In case you haven't guessed, I think it would be a waste of time and money, but then suing has never been my first solution to every little inconvenience in life. :rolleyes:
Honestly, I would've appreciated a call letting me know there'd be a delay instead of walking a block every day to check the mail. It's Texas, summer and hot. I only plan on suing if I don't get any money by the 16th, because I REALLY need it on that day. I was just trying to find my options.
Also, I made a reply last night but it hasn't been posted?

Dave1952

Is there any reason why you must use mail for this? Call them and tell them you'll be by to pick up your check Mon. or Tues..

Proserpina

There's a reason I asked the question.

Ignoring verbal promises, when did they promise to pay?

It is not unusual at all to be paid only when that particular investigator has completed their part ... even if your part was only (as an example) an overnight stay with little wires attached to your head.

Doodle210

Is there any reason why you must use mail for this? Call them and tell them you'll be by to pick up your check Mon. or Tues..
The main company is in a different city, I have no vehicle.

There's a reason I asked the question.

Ignoring verbal promises, when did they promise to pay?

It is not unusual at all to be paid only when that particular investigator has completed their part ... even if your part was only (as an example) an overnight stay with little wires attached to your head.
Again, they only verbally stated "within 2 weeks." I've done studies at this place before, usually got about 50-60% during checkout and the rest in the mail, but this one they didn't give us anything at checkout.

Okay, so it seems that I'm unable to post links... I'm trying to post a picture of the payment details from my contract. If I try to post a link, it just removes my post entirely. :|

Proserpina

The main company is in a different city, I have no vehicle.

Again, they only verbally stated "within 2 weeks." I've done studies at this place before, usually got about 50-60% during checkout and the rest in the mail, but this one they didn't give us anything at checkout.

Okay, so it seems that I'm unable to post links... I'm trying to post a picture of the payment details from my contract. If I try to post a link, it just removes my post entirely. :|
Ah, yeah that happens.

Okay - my background is actually clinical trials. If you can share the name of the drug and/or the facility, I might be able to dig it up. Texas is huge and has about a gazillion possible providers so I can't even narrow it down myself, unfortunately.

Doodle210

Ah, yeah that happens.

Okay - my background is actually clinical trials. If you can share the name of the drug and/or the facility, I might be able to dig it up. Texas is huge and has about a gazillion possible providers so I can't even narrow it down myself, unfortunately.
I went to World Wide Clinical Trials (San Antonio location) for the study, the sponsor was Braintree Laboratories and the drug was BLI4600.

Proserpina

I went to World Wide Clinical Trials (San Antonio location) for the study, the sponsor was Braintree Laboratories and the drug was BLI4600.
They didn't actually provide you with documentation about payment, did they? (outside of vague generalities)

Call them on Monday. Go beyond the receptionist and ask for either the study coordinator (or its equivalent if they're playing fast and loose with definitions in order to avoid anybody actually getting useful information) or the name and number of Braintree's contact at the center.

Be so polite it almost gags you, and finish your questions with "So I should expect the check in x days, based on postal times, correct?" and don't forget to ask if you misunderstood anything about being required to do a follow up visit.

Unfortunately for you, the chances of them having you sign anything actually compelling them to pay you within a certain time-frame are ... zero.

I hope you can prove me wrong. I don't think you will, but I hold out hope anyway.

Doodle210

They didn't actually provide you with documentation about payment, did they? (outside of vague generalities)

Unfortunately for you, the chances of them having you sign anything actually compelling them to pay you within a certain time-frame are ... zero.

I hope you can prove me wrong. I don't think you will, but I hold out hope anyway.
Sadly, you're right. The document only states I get $700 for each night and $450 if I complete the study. Nothing about when I'd be payed. I guess next time I do a study (if I do a study), I'll get it in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">