• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Toshiba Laptop - Extended Warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midwestkel

I'm in Colorado - Toshiba America, Inc. is in California

Hello,

I bought a Toshiba laptop last year and also bought an extended warranty with service express from Toshiba directly.

My laptop stopped turning on and so I called and they sent me out a box to send it back in. The first thing that I noticed was the box was sent second day instead of overnight which is how it should have been with the service express warranty that I paid extra for.

They recieved the laptop on the 16th of October so I was expecting it to be fixed and shipped out that day. All they did was checked it in but didn't repair it. I called the depot on Monday and was told that I was not put in for service express and they were going to change that.

I was a little upset and tried reaching out to Toshiba on Twitter to express my feelings on this and wanted to be refunded for the warranty purchase since I was not receiving it.

I finally get my notebook on Thursday and found that it still was not repaired. I received a call from Toshiba corporate Friday morning telling me that someone who could help would call me back in a few minutes; I never received a call. Monday comes around and I call Toshiba corporate escalations department and left them a voicemail.

Tuesday morning, corporate escalations returned my call and I explained what happened and told them I wanted my money back for the warranty. George (the rep) told me he would have to investigate and would call me back. He called me back and told me the best he could do was to give me a $100 credit to spend with Toshiba and would have my laptop sent to another company that would get it done fast and right.

George sent me a FedEx overnight label and I sent the laptop in that day. They received the laptop the next day. I call on Friday because I was expecting to get the proper service that I paid for but was told it hadn't even been looked at.

I call back Tuesday the 3rd and was told that a part was ordered and it wouldn't come in till Friday and I should have the laptop Monday the 9th or Tuesday the 10th.

I still have not received the laptop and I called and left a message on corporate escalations at 8:30 this morning. At 2:00PM I still hadn't heard from them so I called another department which I believe is a step below called customer relations and spoke with someone there.

I told him that I was upset and demanded a replacement laptop sent out to me. He looked up my ticket and told me that the laptop was shipped today and I would receive it Friday. I asked how this whole experience was considered service express and he told me they ship laptops back using ground shipping.

I explained to him that is not what service express is and should have been next day aired. He told me that service express just puts me in front of the line but can still take up to 10 business days to repair. I explained that is not what Toshiba's website says and read him the quote:

"Toshiba also offers Service Express service as a warranty upgrade. Service Express expedites the repair process to one day in the Depot. Please visit Toshiba Direct to upgrade to Depot Express"
Then also read him what it says in the terms and condition under E. 2 here: http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/services_terms_and_conditions_092905.pdf

He then told me that I was not going through Service Net (the company that fixes the laptops) but was going through a better company and was getting VIP treatment. I asked how come the Service Net says overnight delivery but you are not giving me that and that is considered VIP?

After that I requested to be escalated and he told me "my boss doesn't talk to customers." He would not do anything else for me.

I received a phone call from George in corporate escalations about 30 minutes later and asked why a customer who paid extra for "service express" was being treated so poorly, and that I wanted my money reimbursed and was thinking about talking to their legal department. George's response was that it was my right as a consumer and wouldn't do anything else for me.

I read on Consmerist.com how this guys sent a letter to Amazon.com about his Kindle (http://consumerist.com/5360174/epic-kindle-2-fails-mans-drop-test-forces-amazon-to-pay-him-400). Is there something that I can send to Toshiba's legal department requesting the amount of the warranty plus time loss?

Thanks for you time.

Last edited:

BL

So did you take the $100.00 credit on the extended warraty ?

When did you notice the first shipping lable was not overnight expess ?

midwestkel

I was told that I was being given the $100 credit for the first mistake because I was not given service express and I noticed the label when I shipped the laptop the first time.

The first time this happened it took a week so I was content on the $100 credit because it was coming with getting the notebook to another company that would get it done right and fast but that I still have not received the laptop back which they have for over two weeks now.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is no guarantee of a time-frame for repairs:

2. Service Express Service Plan. This coverage
pertains to You if listed on the COC and your
Product is covered under an Extended Service
Plan or SystemGuard Service Plan. Customer
may choose Depot Express or Premier
Authorized Service Provider Carry-in Express
Service.
(a) For Depot Express service, We will arrange
for (i) next business day overnight delivery of
shipping materials to Customer, and (ii)
provide instructions for next business day
overnight shipment of the Product to the depot.
Customer is responsible for packing the
Product and for shipment to Us according to
the instructions provided. Upon receipt of the
Product, We will make reasonable efforts to
complete the repair and return the Product to
Customer by next business day overnight
shipment (excluding weekends and holidays).

(b) For Carry-In Express service, a Premier
Authorized Service Provider (“ASP”) will
make reasonable efforts to complete the repair
by the next business day (excluding weekends
and holidays) following receipt of the Product.
A list of Premier ASPs is available on-line at
Toshiba Support - Homepage.

BL

Are you sure that you weren't refunded your warranty ( as you requested ) in the form of the credit ?

I can't see a $100.00 credit for a shipping lable mistake ( of one day ).

midwestkel

@Zinger: I understand what you are saying there. I was told that it is there because if they have to order parts. They didn't need to the first time. I was also told that this only pertains to the company Service Net, the second time I was sent to another company and was told it would be fixed right and done faster.

@BL: The warranty was $314.10. It wasn't just because of the shipping delay it was because it wasn't looked at or fixed the day they got it in the depot like they claim on their website.

BL

Is there something that I can send to Toshiba's legal department requesting the amount of the warranty plus time loss?
They did repair and said it was sent out to you .

You have a $100.00 credit for you time.

You now aren't satisfied with that and want your warranty canceled and money returned to you ( after they gave you credit and repaired ) ?

Your warranty did cover the repair , live with it .

If there is a next time , and if the procedures are not followed ,call them first before sending it in .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">