• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trade in question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TAYJO98

car trade in Help!! have till Monday and dealership will file against me

What is the name of your state? Idaho

On a Friday evening I found a car I was interested in purchasing a 05 P.T. Cruiser Convertible. The next day the salesman called and we were given a quote over the phone for the trade in value of our 1999 Chevy Tahoe with about 80,000 miles. The quote was $8600.00. My husband took the Tahoe down to the dealership and told them when they were going to keep the trade in value at the price they quoted that he felt that was to low. We still owed $13,800.00 on the Tahoe. They told him the most the would go on the trade in value was $500.00 more for a total of $9100.00. He came home and we talked about it all on Saturday and Sunday. We decided we were just going to sell the Tahoe ourselves and see if we could get at least what we owed for it. I didn't want to be upside down in the car. We then took the rims off the Tahoe and put them on our Suburban. The rims were not expensive we paid with the new tires like $700.00. The Suburban had the Chevy rims. At any rate the salesman called and with all the rebates they offered we decided that to go ahead and purchase the P.T. The car had sat on the lot for so long that Crysler was offering $5000.00 in rebates and we had to tack on $4700.00 to the loan of the car. On Thursday almost a week later I take the Tahoe down and sign the paper work. The dealership took off my plates and helped me get my daughter's seat out of the Tahoe. I could tell he was looking inside to be sure all was there. The Tahoe was parked right in front of the building where they were all standing around. I leave and 4 days later I get a phone call from the dealership asking where the tires are that were on the Tahoe. I was confused at first and wasn't sure what he was talking about. Anyway he wanted to know where the tires where. I told him the tires are on there and they are brand new only 3 months old. He wanted to know where the rims were. He said that made a difference of $1500.00-2000.00 on the trade in and I told him we didn't get that difference for it. Then I have the owner of the dealership call me and he starts yelling at me saying we stole from him. I told him we did not steal from him. He told me I had to either bring the rims to him or give him $1000.00. I told him they weren't worth a $1000.00 so he then tells me how about $500.00 then. He said he has video servallince in the back lot which showed I guess the Tahoe on that Saturday with the rims. What that had to do with anything I don't know. At any rate I told him I didn't have $500.00 to give him and he tells me to call my husband and figure out how to get it to him or he is going to take me to small claims court. I talked to another dealership who told me they had never heard of such a thing and that they thought the owner was strong arming me into giving him more. They thought it bad business practice on this dealships part. I did not meaningly deceive anyone. I didn't even think about the rims. Like I said we did it when we decided to sell ourselves. That was 4 days before deciding to but the P.T. Nothing was ever said about the rims on the Tahoe before or at the time of signing the papers. So my question is can they take me to small claims court on this???

Thank you
Becky Brannan
208-327-1700

Last edited:

ramgrl

Not a leg to stand on

While I don't recommend engaging in a battle of the wits with this man who is so painfully unarmed, I definately would recommend calling your local better business bureau and reporting him. The fact that he did not notice the rims had been changed at the time of the signing is HIS problem not yours. Car dealerships have people whose single job is to fully inventory and inspect all trade in vehicles and apparently their guy dropped the ball. Regardless of the circumstances, the fact that the dealer allowed you to sign papers without making sure everything was the way he wanted it before you left is his mistake. He could file a civil suit (anyone can for any stupid reason) but he would NOT win and he would be lucky if he wasn't fined himself for unethical business practices. If he does decide to file a suit (no matter how frivilous) then by all means file a counter suit against him alleging harrassment and attempted fraud, that should be enough to rattle him straight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">