• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trainer contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MayBea

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York City

Hi, My name is May, I sent my Doberman to a trainer because she was having behavior problems. the Contract summed up what training she would receive and the costs(that I had to send before they could work with the dog), but the cost of her staying at the kennel and what equipment they needed to use would be later billed.
Well I don't know what they did to my dog but the bill is OUTRAGEOUS, and I can't afford it. When I told them this they flipped out and said they weren't going to give me my dog back until it was paid.
There was nothing in the contract I signed about holding my Doberman as collateral, can they do this? what can I do about it? I'm afraid I don't have a paper copy of the contract the trainer still has the one i signed. should i request a copy?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Realistically - pay the bill, get your dog, then sue the trainer for any amounts beyond the amounts outlined in your contract.

Unfortunately, you have no idea what those amounts may be because you didn't retain a copy of the contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">