• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

transfer car title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kara49

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I bought a used car about 4 years ago for a friend that is unemployed. He hasn't paid for it, but I'm willing to just forget about the purchase price of $1200. I've signed and sent him the title so that he could transfer the car into his name (he's in NY, I'm in MN). The car is still in my name and I've been paying insurance and license tabs for it for 4 yrs. (MN license tabs although the car has been in NY four years.) Am I still responsible for insuring this car? I've gotten parking tickets from NYC that I've paid because the title is still in my name. If he's involved in an accident, am I liable because my name is still on the title? The license tabs don't expire until Oct. 2010. I've lost contact with this guy and I'm not sure how to resolve this. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

gogo589

Are you looking for a new friend? I'm also unemployed, will you pay for my insurance and tabs? Sounds like you let your "friend" take advantage of you. My question for you is what did YOU get out of it? Are you a woman trying to prove how much you love him?

I would call the DMV and explain the situation. I'm sure you signed over the title and sent it to him with the understanding that he would register the car in his name and that did not happen. You could always report the car stolen.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I bought a used car about 4 years ago for a friend that is unemployed. He hasn't paid for it, but I'm willing to just forget about the purchase price of $1200. I've signed and sent him the title so that he could transfer the car into his name (he's in NY, I'm in MN). The car is still in my name and I've been paying insurance and license tabs for it for 4 yrs. (MN license tabs although the car has been in NY four years.) Am I still responsible for insuring this car? I've gotten parking tickets from NYC that I've paid because the title is still in my name. If he's involved in an accident, am I liable because my name is still on the title? The license tabs don't expire until Oct. 2010. I've lost contact with this guy and I'm not sure how to resolve this. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
Why would your friend sign the title and title it in his name when he/she is getting a free ride ?

Just because you signed it means nothing .

Retrieve your auto .

Indiana Filer

You could always report the car stolen.
Don't give opinions. This website is for legal ADVICE, and we prefer it to be accurate. If he followed your opinion (it cannot be called advice) above, he would be filing a false police report.

Do you know anything about the law other than what you've pulled from lala land?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">