• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transporter stole/lost exotic car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Richard Allen

I live in Oregon...hired auto transporter to deliver exotic M-B car from Tempe,AZ. to Oregon, car was stolen while in their care,my auto insurance will cover cost of M-B car ,but dealer says he may not be able to find another one like this one. can i sue transporter ? i have a contract with transporter to deliver my car.

D

DRUSS1964

this is only an opinion and not legal advise maybe even wrong

sue him but I would also check his local law enforcment about any reports of this happening while cars were in his posession before.
report it stolen not lost .look at all possibilities maybe even an inside job

J

JudgeJudy

Sue for what? Do you have damages that exceed the value of what your insurance has already paid? Did your signed agreement with the transporter have provisions for theft? You may have already signed away any claim (most likely it is limited).

In any event, courts only deal with money. You can't sue someone to make them go out and find you a new car. You should be able to recover the tangible value of the car, but not collect twice. Get what you can from insurance, and attempt to recover the rest (including your insurance deductible) from the carrier.

Watch Judge Judy for 1.5 weeks and you'll see applicable situations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">