• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Travel Agent Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

travel2015

Hi Everyone,
Would really appreciate if you guys can suggest to sort my situation out or advice about lawyers who can assist.

I am based in Houston and booked a pilgrimage trip with a travel agency for which he( the travel agent/owner) charged me $ 2500 for visa, air fare and hotel accommodations. He emailed me the business bank account number and I went into a branch and deposited into his account and he emailed me a receipt. Later I payed an additional $500 as I wanted a room close to the holy site so this $500 went towards a premium/close by hotel and I deposited the money same way and he emailed me the invoice. Our conversations happened on phone and he used to email me suggested itineraries and I picked up one itinerary which suited me and hence trip was booked.
This itinerary was in form of trip case document and pdf without an actual ticket number. I was not advised in any documented way about the cancellation policy.
Later my plans changed and I emailed him to cancel the ticket- and he advised me on phone that after cancellation of airfare, hotel and visa charges he would refund the remaining amount and I said okay. After multiple inquiries on phone he said that he is waiting for refund from hotel and airline and would update me once he gets an deducted amount information from airline and hotel.
Its been 5 months now (I payed in November 2015) and there has been no refund and after numerous emails, call, text messages, whatsapp messages the agent has stopped replying. One day I sent 15 emails so he can reply and got one reply that we are looking into billing and please wait and of course there is no email or update after that.
Interesting point to note is that I called airline through another agent based on the PNR number/booking reference number he sent in PDF document but airline said they don't see a ticket issued in the system - so either he didn't book a ticket OR did not send me the ticket with a ticket number.
I am now travelling for work and have tried sending him a demand letter but that has also returned so I really don't know where and how to begin to have him refund my money.
$2800 is a lot of money for me as new immigrant in US and am at a lost what to do- lawyer or small court? just ticket refund or any other punitive charges too- I am sure a lot of learned experts will read this and I would appreciate your guidance in this matter.
thanksalot,
Ali

quincy

he is also based in houston
If both you and the travel agent are located in Houston, you can have an attorney in your area send a demand letter to the agent, with threat of a lawsuit if the money owing you is not refunded in X number of days.

With some luck, the agent will meet your demands and you will not have to file suit against him.

I am curious. You said "later" your plans changed and you asked him to cancel the ticket. How much later, after you paid for the visa, airfare and hotel accommodations, did you cancel your plans and request a refund?

travel2015

thanks for your comment. I will use the lawyer to send a demand letter though I have sent one myself but obviously no response.
after he booked ( that's what I was told) then I cancelled but it was way ahead of travel date and the so called "booking" from his side and "cancellation request" from my side all happened within a span of a week.
whats a good lawyer to be used in Houston? apparently no lawyer is interested in a small case and that's why isent a demand letter myself so if needed then I can pursue it in a small claims court.
thanks

quincy

thanks for your comment. I will use the lawyer to send a demand letter though I have sent one myself but obviously no response.
after he booked ( that's what I was told) then I cancelled but it was way ahead of travel date and the so called "booking" from his side and "cancellation request" from my side all happened within a span of a week.
whats a good lawyer to be used in Houston? apparently no lawyer is interested in a small case and that's why isent a demand letter myself so if needed then I can pursue it in a small claims court.
thanks
Thank you for answering my question, travel2015.

A general practice attorney can draft a demand letter for you. It should not take long. I hope that is all it takes.

But, if you must sue to get your refund, here is a link to small claims procedures in Texas (the link from Dallas County only because it explains the procedure well):

http://www.dallascounty.org/department/jpcourts/3-1/start.php

Small claims courts are designed so that an attorney is not needed. You can consult with an attorney if any aspect of the action confuses you and sometimes some courts will offer special assistance to pro-se litigants. You could call to see if such a thing is available in your court.

Good luck.

travel2015

thanksalot Qunicy
very relevant and step by step information
I have written to lawyer referral service but no response from there but will try to find a lawyer who can do the demand letter else will do the small court if need be.
thanks once again for your help

quincy

thanksalot Qunicy
very relevant and step by step information
I have written to lawyer referral service but no response from there but will try to find a lawyer who can do the demand letter else will do the small court if need be.
thanks once again for your help
You're welcome, travel2015. I appreciate the thanks.

Good luck. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">