• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tree service trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

celticrosezz

What is the name of your state? IL

In June '02 I had a tree removed. The verbal agreement I had with the contractor was $500.

On the day he removed the tree he did not accepted a payment, told me he would come back later that day. He never showed up at all. I called the contractor for 3 months trying to get the bill mailed or come by to drop it off. No one every came and I decided not to call any more.

Now, yesturday ( 9 months later) a statement hand place in my mailbox ( not mailed) shown up. It had I owed he $700!! for the tree removable.

On this bill was not even my correct last name; only thing was correct was my address.
I knew I owed the contractor $$ so I mailed him a check of $500 ( in the memo part I wrote PAID IN FULL) along with an letter stating that we only owed him $500 as agreed at time of service.

Can he get me for the rest in a legal case? I feel like this contractor is trying to get away with more money.

spawn_x

no he can't.

if he takes you to court he'll lose because he does not have a signed estimate from you for 700 dollars.

he has to prove that you owe him 700 dollars, not the other way around, because HE is suing YOU.

its not assumed that you owe him 700 dollars, he has to prove it.

and next time get a receipt immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">