• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble with Cox Communications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hard Charger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I previously had two separate accounts with Cox Cable, a residential (TV) and business account (Phone and Internet). In May 2014 I consolidated the account to the residential account, and was quoted a price of $179 per month for all of the services I was getting from both accounts separately, plus I could keep my phone numbers. A service person came out in June to swap out modems, at which point it was discovered they could not port my business numbers to residential numbers. I would have never ordered the service since I had used that number for my business for 10 years, but since the ball was rolling, I went with the new numbers and contacted existing clients with the new changes.

I receive my first bill and the charges are way more than the price I was quoted, and some of the services I previously had were not working (call forwarding). I call, speak with a costomer service rep, they say they see the problem, will put in the new order, and all will be good. At the same time the business side is still sending me bills because they say they never received the modem that the Cox service rep came and swapped out. They sent me to collections on this until I finally found a supervisor that waived the charge since there was nothing I could do about it.

The nightmare continues on the residential side six months later. Cox claims I now owe them hundreds of dollars, even though I have called them ten different times (they have each call on record) to get the bill fixed and have spoken to numerous service reps who claimed they have fixed it. The last supervisor I spoke with said there is nothing they can do about it, whoever originally quoted me the price was wrong, and that they have in fact been undercharging me. I told her I will cancel service once they get the bill right for the amount I should have been paying, despite the fact they haven't been providing all the services and changed my business number, and she agrees. Of course, I get the new bill and not only is it not correct, they have increased the monthly amount, and changed the service (now charging for long distance).

Any advice before I cancel service and let them send me to collections? I don't know who to speak with, I've gotten nowhere speaking with Cox representatives. I'm thinking about taking them to small claims court for changing my phone number (lost business), not to mention I have literally spent well over ten business hours trying to hash this out with their customer service reps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">