• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble with my trade in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PeggyPlum

What is the name of your state?

Illinois. I purchased a new car this weekend and traded in my old car. They did a run through about any potential problems with the car, but even before that I told them that I had had my car to the shop and that the condensor for the air conditioner had a crack in it, that I had purchased a new one and that my son-in-law, a certified mechanic was going to replace it. They said something about the brakes being spongy so I said I would also have him put new brake pads on the vehicle. We got our financing and signed for the new car and all contracts were signed and delivered, along with the check to the dealership for the new car, and I took the trade to my son-in-law's shop where he replaced the condensor and the brake pads. Today they called (I dropped the car off on Sunday the 1st and today is Wednesday the 4th) and said that the air conditioner does not work. I said that I had replaced the old parts with new ones (we even left the old parts in boxes in the rear of the station wagon that was traded so they could see it was replaced). My son-in-law said that it is probably a switch or O rings or something as simple as freon, and nothing big like the compressor as the switch light is on. They are demanding that I come and get the car and take it to be looked at and repaired. I contend that I did what I agreed to do verbally, which was to replace the condensor and brakes and that now the problem is theirs. There is no warranty on the repairs of course as my son-in-law put the parts on for free. Thank you for any help you might be able to give.

djohnson

Was this just a verbal agreement or did you sign something that had this included as part of the deal?

PeggyPlum

djohnson said:
Was this just a verbal agreement or did you sign something that had this included as part of the deal?
As far as I remember this was a verbal agreement. I said I would replace the bad condenser with a new one, which I did, along with new brake pads. I have my invoice, the odometer reading and my sales tax info. That is all they gave me. There is nothing on the invoice to indicate that my trade would be worth less if it wasn't repaired. I have searched all papers and that's all I have. If I did sign something they did not give me a copy of it.
Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">