• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Truck Repair Frustration Continues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chiquita_bob

Truck Repair Frustration Continues-Shop broke exhaust

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hello once again, I appreciate all the replys from my last message Bad Motor/Salvage Title Woes. The problems continue...We replaced the engine in our Dodge truck with a local mechanic shop. When we picked up the truck we were told from the shop that the truck had an exhaust leak at the converter.
We were unaware of any such leak. When we listened to the truck it was terrible. The exhaust leak is very loud and noticeable. I told the shop that the truck did not have this leak prior to drop-off. He than informs us that he does not have a welder at the shop. My husband has a welder at his business so he said he would have it looked at at work. The shop than tells us that if it does not fix it to bring it back. Come to find out the truck's exhaust has to be lowered in order to be welded. This will cost alot of money in labor because the welder at his business cannot do it. When we call the shop they inform us that the pipe was rusty and they are not responsible for damage to a rusty pipe during installation. My understanding was if it is broken during installation of engine than they are responsible for it. My temper is wearing thin and any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Once again Thanks! Elizabeth

Last edited:

djohnson

Why was the pipe rust they were installing? If it is a normal circumstance and not something they were negligient about, then they won't be responsible.

chiquita_bob

The exhaust pipes only have surface rust on them. The truck is a 1999. When they were attaching the exhaust pipes back to the new engine, they cracked them. They are trying to say it was cracked before install. I have two service shops that can verify it was not.

djohnson

Did the two repair shops take them off and reattach them? Why would they do this? With out taking them off, they can only say what appeared to them. If it was only surface rust and they cracked them, how is that explained by you or the other tow shops? The rust would have to be deeper and already corroded. Causing pressure to go ahead and crack them. This would not be negligience. But pursue how you see fit and if you can get an attorney to take the case.

chiquita_bob

The crack caused a leak that is very loud. This very loud sound was not present before engine install. The two shops did not disconnect the pipes, they examined the truck and found the engine to be bad not the exhaust. The major difference is when we dropped it off the bottom berrings were bad in the engine (only noice present) after we picked it up from engine shop engine sounds great but very loud noice coming from crack in pipe about 3/4 of the way around. This noice was NOT present before drop-off. The pipe was cracked so much it was barely hanging on. My husband has inspected and handled the pipe and it is very solid. This would not have been an easy break.

Just a suggestion............

When we picked up the truck we were told from the shop that the truck had an exhaust leak at the converter.
May I suggest something? Although the truck is a '99, the converter aspect may be covered under the truck's original warranty. Look in the owner's manual under warranty provisions. Some items, and I believe the converter is one of them, are covered up to eight years. If you don't have the book, contact a Dodge dealer or check with friend or acquaintance who may have a truck that age and still has their warranty book. Cadalityc(?) converters do not last forever and the exhaust acids they process have a tendency to rot them and adjoining pipe. This may well be something entirely normal for a vehicle this age in which case the repair shop that repaired the engine would have nothing to do with it except perhaps the misfortuane of having it there when it went bad.

If it is the straight exhaust pipe itself, the one that runs the entire length of the truck and exits out the rear side, just take it to a exhaust shop and get it fixed. The how or when the thing cracked or was damaged is anybodys guess. When's the last time you or hubby crawled under the truck to check things out as to condition of exhaust system, brake line, etc. The amount of time, energy and aggravation you will waste on this is not worth it. You can take them to small claims court but the burden of proof would be on you. The other two shops you mention that "know it wasn't like that " would most likely not want to spend a day in court as your expert witnesses. This will turn into a he said, she said and you would have a very difficult time proving your case.

This is just some suggestions and JMO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">