• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

truck will not pass smog check two years later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmpena

What is the name of your state?California
Sold a truck to co-worker 2 years ago, I had it smoged prior to the sale. Now the truck will not pass smog due to some ODBII problems. I imported the truck in 1999 from Mexico, had it inspected by a Smog station and by DMV and it passed inspection. The truck also passed inspection on its bi-annual smog inspection and also when I sold it. I offered to purchase the truck at low blue book value, since I didn't know about the problem and wanted to make things right. The co-worker refused, since he wanted private party value.
I received a letter from his attorney demanding the full value of two years ago, stating that I iligally imported the truck, citing CA vehicle codes. I did not agree to their demands, but they are persuing a law suit. The bill of sale states 'as is" and for the value of $1800 since he did not want to pay used tax on the original amount. My question is what is my legal responsibility? Does he have a case in court? Thank you in advance for your advice.
jmpena

racer72

Tell them to pack sand where the sun don't shine. You have no responsibility for the vehicle inspections, especially 2 years after it was sold.

jmpena

Thank you for your input. I beleive the co-worker is looking at the import legality. I follow the law in getting the truck inspected. Thanks again for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">