• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TSO Bannings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lauras2u

What is the name of your state? Illinois

The week on the online game The Sims ONline (TSO), many players were permanantly banned from the game, many of these players had paid for months of service in advance. None were directly informed as to why they were suspended even when they questioned the company, Maxis, directly. There is a place where it is posted for all to read that they were banned for 'game exploit'. (which may or maynot be a problem with privacy policy).

The supposed exploit was this: If u did certain ingame allowed behaviours, ie buying land and emptying tip jars, you could get in-game cash, called simolians. These players were not using 3rd party programs nor were they doing within the game any behavior not expected of the players(called sims). The sims gained no advantage outside the game.

Maxis has declaired gaining money by combining these allowed behaviors was a bug and therefore anyone who gained simolians in this manner had broken the terms of service. They banned all the sims that bought waht they concidered too much land.
-----------
TERMS OF SERVICE (APPROPRIATE PART)
Report bugs to us via the appropriate forums on the Game's website. Don't exploit any bug in the Game or EA.com Service to gain unfair advantage in the Game, or communicate the existence of any such bug (either directly or through public posting) to any other user of the Game so that it can be abused.
--------------

Apparantly Maxis thought that surely everyone knew this was a bug and not a game feature.

Not all banned sims took advantage of this 'bug'. Those that did not are clueless as to why they were banned. There is some question as to whether or not those that did take advantage of this knew it was a bug.

So the question is: what recourse to the players of this game have against the company. Most of them just want their game account unbanned, the sims they lost represent months of game play.

lauras2u

Come on guys give me a hand here. You cannot believe how upset these people are (not me) there is more and more bannings each day and no response from the company.

What approach should they take concidering they have left no way for them to get replies. As i see it, the terms of service were not broken even by those who were making simolians that way. It was simply a found goody within the program they wrote. Are the players of the game the best judge of what is a bug?

lauras2u

damages

Since I was not banned, I did not realize the full damages from the banning. These players cannot log onto their accounts so they cannot play the game they paid for...nor can they resell the game which is now reselling for $15 a game. I have been told, but i put little authority in the source, that 18,000 accounts have been banned so far. Most players had paid several months of game play in advance at $10 a month. There is real damages here even though each player lost only a small amount of money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">