• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wheatond

What is the name of your state? PA
I do not know under what category this falls under, but here goes. I was employed with a big company from 1996-2001. In 1999, a business college came to my place of employment to enroll employees in a Business Administration course for an Associates Degree. We were encouraged to do this by our manager and assured that the company would pay 1500./yr for us to attend classes. I submitted the form by fax to the HR department and was approved for the classes. I was told tuition would be paid provided I maintained a C average or better. I was under the understanding it would be paid directly to the school upon receipt of my grades.
I never completed the course although I did attend two classes. I faxed my grades (4.0) to the HR department and received an acknowledgement. I never heard anything more from the school or HR so I assumed everything was taken care of.
I was terminated in 2001 and recently tried to get a copy of my transcripts from the school I attended so I could complete the course somewhere else. They will not release my transcripts because 1500. is still owed to the school under my name, not my former employers'.
I cannot complete admissions at my new school without the transcripts and I do not have 1500. to send them. I have left many messages with the HR department and they ignore my voicemails. I feel they are responsible for this, but my future is hanging in the balance. Any suggestions or thoughts?

djohnson

You state that you were under the assumption that your company would pay directly to the school. What documentation do you have to back this up? Do you still have a copy of all the paperwork from that time. If they only paid if had maintained a C or better and you didn't complete then they would not pay. As you are no longer an employee and want to complete and get the C or better they are no longer responsible.

I have never seen a company pay directly to a school. In all circumstances I have seen you pay and when you get your final grade the company reimburses you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">