• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

two names are on a car title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billy000333

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arkansas
i have a co buyer to my car and we are both on the title and loan i have made all the payments and the co buyer has takin the car and is trying to sell it cause they dont want it in there name i have tryed to refanice it in my name as they asked but i still need a co signer so i cant what can i do can they really just sell my car i have worked so hard to pay down?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arkansas
i have a co buyer to my car and we are both on the title and loan i have made all the payments and the co buyer has takin the car and is trying to sell it cause they dont want it in there name i have tryed to refanice it in my name as they asked but i still need a co signer so i cant what can i do can they really just sell my car i have worked so hard to pay down?
How are your two names listed on the title, as Person A AND Person B, or as Person A OR Person B? The specifics are important as to whether or not you have to sign off on the vehicle if/when it is sold.

Also, it makes little sense that the other person would just up and sell the vehicle out from under you unless there is more to this story than what you are telling (which is usually the case):
  • What is the relationship between you and your co-buyer? (If it's a love relationship gone bad, that would explain a lot.)
  • Have you ever paid late or missed payments? (If you have done either, it shows that you may not be relied upon to continue making those payments regularly or timely as agreed.)

FlyingRon

Absent the word AND or OR, and is assumed.
Assuming the pair of names without a conjuction or AND
and it's financed and the lien holder is recorded:

He can try to sell it, but no sane purpose will buy it and the title can't be transfered unless all listed owners AND the bank agree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">