• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tying of Contracts at School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CoolGuyBC

I go to a college in CA. At my school we are required to purchase a meal plan from the Residential Cafeteria if we live in the dorms. Does this constitute a tying of contracts?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CoolGuyBC said:
I go to a college in CA. At my school we are required to purchase a meal plan from the Residential Cafeteria if we live in the dorms. Does this constitute a tying of contracts?

==================================

My response:

You may be on to something. From your post, I can see no rational relationship to renting a dorm to the necessity of buying the schools food. What I mean by that is, even if it is not causing economic duress, the school's tying payment of a dorm room rental under the contract, which in order to rent requires the purchase of their food, is arguably itself contractual "bad faith" conduct by the school! i.e., the school has no right to insist upon the purchase of food in order to obtain housing "as a bundle."

Therefore, it is my opinion, based only upon what you've written, that you may have a tort action for "contractual bad faith", among other damages. However, it might be easier for you to involve the District Attorney's office to begin an investigation because "tying" is also criminal in nature.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">