• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Typed contract breached?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladejane

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

Three years ago I agreed to let a family rent my (mortgaged) home. As they were moving in (and removing my contents) they asked if I would consider rent-to-own. (I trusted them, this family was considered "family" and friends). I agreed and we discussed contract and contents (that we could (together) think of)....I typed up a simple page. Contents included:

Will sell for 61,500, monthly notes $574.00 for 15 years...If past due 90 days, will be evicted w/ no refund...All appliances (stove, W/D, fridge which were fairly new) to be switched/ replaced (with previous appliances I had)...waterbed (set-up in one bedroom) can be purchased for $150.

Contract signed...they now have only copy. No other paper work was involved.

They destroyed personal property ....including stove, portable stereo, new/unused car stereo, my sons raft and an oar, shelves (they destroyed them by dumping (and burning the stove) on their previos property!!!

Their payments have been delinquent many times....30-60-90 days each aboit 3-4x. I took no action.

I pay my mortgage company $390.00 month this payment includes insurance and taxes.

I paid these for two years, then told them that they were to start paying "their" insurance and taxes. They said NO. And if I continue paying them, it would total $17,000 in 15yrs.

To make this briefer...they refuse to take up payments of insurance and taxes....and I have informed them that I am taking the homestaead off tax and the insurance will not be renewed in my name...
Who has legal rights to property? Is(n't) contract void or binding? Can I make them pay the insurance or taxes? Do I have right to evict?

Home Guru....What can I do?? Please help?

HomeGuru

ladejane said:
What is the name of your state? Mississippi

Three years ago I agreed to let a family rent my (mortgaged) home. As they were moving in (and removing my contents) they asked if I would consider rent-to-own. (I trusted them, this family was considered "family" and friends). I agreed and we discussed contract and contents (that we could (together) think of)....I typed up a simple page. Contents included:

Will sell for 61,500, monthly notes $574.00 for 15 years...If past due 90 days, will be evicted w/ no refund...All appliances (stove, W/D, fridge which were fairly new) to be switched/ replaced (with previous appliances I had)...waterbed (set-up in one bedroom) can be purchased for $150.

Contract signed...they now have only copy. No other paper work was involved.

They destroyed personal property ....including stove, portable stereo, new/unused car stereo, my sons raft and an oar, shelves (they destroyed them by dumping (and burning the stove) on their previos property!!!

Their payments have been delinquent many times....30-60-90 days each aboit 3-4x. I took no action.

I pay my mortgage company $390.00 month this payment includes insurance and taxes.

I paid these for two years, then told them that they were to start paying "their" insurance and taxes. They said NO. And if I continue paying them, it would total $17,000 in 15yrs.

To make this briefer...they refuse to take up payments of insurance and taxes....and I have informed them that I am taking the homestaead off tax and the insurance will not be renewed in my name...
Who has legal rights to property? Is(n't) contract void or binding? Can I make them pay the insurance or taxes? Do I have right to evict?

Home Guru....What can I do?? Please help?

**A: Dear Jane,
you already have a thread on this subject on the Real Estate Law forum. Stick to that thread please. Repost this post on that inital thread. Then we can swing.

signed,
Tarzan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">