• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

U-Haul Self Storage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NegativPositiv

I rented a U-Haul Self Storage unit a little over a month ago when my family moved from Kansas to Texas. Other then a few changes of clothes everything we owned was in the storage unit since we had limited space in a hotel. It turns out that every time it rains water gets up under the roof and coats our entire unit. There is sitting water in the unit and everything we own was either destroyed or covered in mold. The site manager didn't even want to come out and look at my property and just gave me a flyer for their insurance company. I filed and did what I was supposed to do and today was told they would cut me a check for the most they could, a whopping $1000. I sent them a detailed list and over 100 pictures of just shy of $10,000 in damages and loss. Is there anything I can do to get more for my property? Literally everything we own but what we can carry for a family of 4 is lost and $1000 isn't going to scratch the surface of what we lost.

Thanks in advance.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I rented a U-Haul Self Storage unit a little over a month ago when my family moved from Kansas to Texas. Other then a few changes of clothes everything we owned was in the storage unit since we had limited space in a hotel. It turns out that every time it rains water gets up under the roof and coats our entire unit. There is sitting water in the unit and everything we own was either destroyed or covered in mold. The site manager didn't even want to come out and look at my property and just gave me a flyer for their insurance company. I filed and did what I was supposed to do and today was told they would cut me a check for the most they could, a whopping $1000. I sent them a detailed list and over 100 pictures of just shy of $10,000 in damages and loss. Is there anything I can do to get more for my property? Literally everything we own but what we can carry for a family of 4 is lost and $1000 isn't going to scratch the surface of what we lost.

Thanks in advance.

File with your insurance company...or sue the bad guys in small claims court.

tranquility

Thanks in advance.

Did you buy their "SafeStor" insurance?

FlyingRon

Yeah that's where the $1000 is coming from. Aparently that's all I get with their 30 day free rental agreement you get when you rent a 1 way truck. The manager of the store can't even be bothered to come look at the damages.
That's likely all the liability he has. If he's willing to pay out the policy limit, why does he need to look at anything. Your lease with the self-storage place I can pretty much guarantee states they're not responsible for your contents.

NegativPositiv

That's likely all the liability he has. If he's willing to pay out the policy limit, why does he need to look at anything. Your lease with the self-storage place I can pretty much guarantee states they're not responsible for your contents.
I'd like him to make sure the damage to the unit is repaired so it quits raining on the stuff that isn't ruined. No repairs have been done to the unit to anything I own in sealed containers gets rained on again and again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'd like him to make sure the damage to the unit is repaired so it quits raining on the stuff that isn't ruined. No repairs have been done to the unit to anything I own in sealed containers gets rained on again and again.
You KNOW that the unit leaks...you must mitigate your damages, up to and including moving your stuff out. The next time it rains, and you haven't done so, it's on YOU.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">