• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

U-haul u-box nightmare move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohsnapanniemac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois/California

I recently moved from Chicago to Los Angeles for a new job and made the horrible mistake of using u-haul's self-storage/moving alternative u-box. It works essentially like PODS: the box is loaded in your pickup location, shipped, the moved to your destination where it is unpacked. I hired U-haul's third party movers (movinghelp.com) for the loading of my u-box, but used private movers in Long Beach for the unpacking. There were a lot of issues with my move, from change of drop-off address (which I was promised would be easy) to date changes, to random unapproved charges to my account. Between me and my boyfriend, we have already spent at least 10 hours on the phone with some entity of u-haul over the past 3 weeks.

Then I finally got my stuff this past weekend. So much is absolutely ruined. I have already documented 3 boxes labeled "fragile" that were completely smashed in that contained broken glass, a very nice glass frame that was smashed, a popped bike tire (probably from all the broken glass), and several large scratches to my coffee table. The boxes were packed by mover's contracted through u-haul, and as far as I could tell were not packed carelessly enough to justify this damage. My movers in Long Beach unloaded the u-boxes at the storage facility where they informed me of the damages. In addition to all of this headache, u-haul cannot produce a receipt for me for more than a small portion of my move. They charged me nearly $3,000 and I have yet to see a receipt for more than $252. I paid for $10,000 of insurance on my u-boxes, but can't actually find what that covers anywhere. As I mentioned, I've already been on the phone with them over 10 hours, and I'm completely convinced that no one there knows what they're doing or how to help. Is there anything I can do as a consumer to make sure this gets rectified?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois/California

I recently moved from Chicago to Los Angeles for a new job and made the horrible mistake of using u-haul's self-storage/moving alternative u-box. It works essentially like PODS: the box is loaded in your pickup location, shipped, the moved to your destination where it is unpacked. I hired U-haul's third party movers (movinghelp.com) for the loading of my u-box, but used private movers in Long Beach for the unpacking. There were a lot of issues with my move, from change of drop-off address (which I was promised would be easy) to date changes, to random unapproved charges to my account. Between me and my boyfriend, we have already spent at least 10 hours on the phone with some entity of u-haul over the past 3 weeks.

Then I finally got my stuff this past weekend. So much is absolutely ruined. I have already documented 3 boxes labeled "fragile" that were completely smashed in that contained broken glass, a very nice glass frame that was smashed, a popped bike tire (probably from all the broken glass), and several large scratches to my coffee table. The boxes were packed by mover's contracted through u-haul, and as far as I could tell were not packed carelessly enough to justify this damage. My movers in Long Beach unloaded the u-boxes at the storage facility where they informed me of the damages. In addition to all of this headache, u-haul cannot produce a receipt for me for more than a small portion of my move. They charged me nearly $3,000 and I have yet to see a receipt for more than $252. I paid for $10,000 of insurance on my u-boxes, but can't actually find what that covers anywhere. As I mentioned, I've already been on the phone with them over 10 hours, and I'm completely convinced that no one there knows what they're doing or how to help. Is there anything I can do as a consumer to make sure this gets rectified?
Did you pack your belongings yourself or did you hire this done for you?

You should have the insurance policy you purchased reviewed by a professional in your area if you are confused as to what is covered or if you don't know how to file a claim.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">