• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uhual breached their contract, caused my great inconvenience, and has done nothing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nkhende

Nevada. I purchased a Uhaul Ubox to be shipped 5/2, with a guaranteed arrival date of 5/12. It arrived mid afternoon 5/14. Everything I owned was in that box, for the days without my belongings I was sleeping on a hard floor with a towel, no television, no internet, no work clothes. I've tried resolving internally, was offered $50 store credit only, which is honestly a slap in the face. I've communicated this, and after 2 weeks of complete lack of concern or accountability I've decided to move to small claims court. I've communicated my intentions, offered ultimatums, and still am being completely ignored. I'm angry, and want to know what damages I might seek. The contract itself was $1300, I've missed work and lived in awful conditions because of the breach. Should I seek punitive damages, and if so how much?

TigerD

Re-read your contract.

http://www.uhaul.com/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/216/Arbitration
What is Arbitration?

Arbitration is an alternative dispute resolution process in which a neutral third person (one or more arbitrators) decides a dispute. Arbitration is often faster and more informal than court proceedings. Your U-Haul contract contains an arbitration clause that says we both have agreed that any and all Claims between You and U-Haul relating in any way to your rental or purchase from U-Haul shall be submitted to binding Arbitration before the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) in accordance with the AAA Commercial Arbitration Rules (www.adr.org/commercial) and Supplementary Procedures for Consumer-Related Disputes (www.adr.org/consumer) (“AAA Rules”), and judgment may be entered on the Arbitration award by a Court of competent jurisdiction. By agreeing to arbitration, your legal claims are not affected, only the dispute resolution process has changed. If you are covered by an earlier contract not containing the Arbitration Agreement, arbitration is still available to you. You can also find more information about arbitration at www.adr.org.

How does Arbitration commence?

If you intend to seek Arbitration you must first send to U-Haul, by certified mail, a written notice of Dispute (“Notice”), a copy of which can be found by selecting the "Forms" link at uhaul.com/arbitration. The Notice shall be addressed to U-Haul Arbitration, 2721 North Central Avenue, 5th Floor, Phoenix, AZ 85004. If U-Haul and You do not reach an agreement to resolve the Claim within 60 days after the Notice is received, or immediately upon U-Haul’s denial of Your Claim, You or U-Haul may commence an Arbitration proceeding. A form demand for arbitration can be accessed by selecting the "Forms" link at uhaul.com/arbitration or downloaded and printed at the AAA website: www.adr.org, or by filing an online demand at the AAA website.
What do I do if my claim does not exceed the jurisdictional limit of state small claims court?

You or U-Haul may bring Claims in small claims court instead of arbitration.
You don't have a claim, but good luck.
DC

justalayman

with a guaranteed arrival date of 5/12. It arrived mid afternoon 5/14. Everything I owned was in that box, for the days without my belongings I was sleeping on a hard floor with a towel, no television, no internet, no work clothes.
Oh my God. I feel so sorry for you having to live a day and a half without all of your stuff. I cannot imagine living like that. I mean, the worst that ever happened to me was a tornado went though my back yard and I had no power which meant no water (on a well), no lights, no TV, no internet but luckily that only lasted for 5 days. Luckily I have a gas stove so I could cook and boy did I cook. Had to cook all the food in the refrigerator before it spoiled.

but hey, I guess your situation was simply unbearable for that day and a half where you could have run to the store and bought a pillow and a set or two of work clothes and maybe an air mattress.

why did you miss work? What was in that box that prevented you from going to work for those 2 days?

as to what you are due:

read your paperwork and see what the guarantee provides should it not be met.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">