• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(UK) Bromborough paints / Crown paint defective paint and they don’t seem to care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scottsmith

Hi and many thanks in advance to anyone that can help on this situation.

I’ll try to keep it as brief as possible. We purchased a new house about 5 months ago and paid a painter that we’ve used in the past that has done great work us in the past and paid around £3500 to paint all the rooms including the ceilings, doors etc and also outside. In the past we’ve always used B&Q’s own paint with no issue, but as we wanted certain colours and the painter recommended we use paint from Bromborough paints in Abergele and his price included all the paint.

When we moved in we found out that the slightest touch would mark the paint and if you took a damp cloth and gently tried to wipe it, it would get worse. The hallway being a high traffic area was the worst so we paid the painter again and got our own paint, this time using Deluxe paint for the hall only and it’s a world of difference. Yes the kids mark it now and again but a wet wipe returns it to brand new. The painter also touched up some areas using the Bromborough paint and where he has looks like a different shade of paint was used.

When the painter was tackled on this, as we thought he had given us bad advice to use paint from Bromborough, he said he had used this paint for years with no issue. When he came back to see the marking issue and where he touched up etc, he said it must be an issue with the paint and he went to see Bromborough in Abergele that had a rep from Crown (as I believe they own Bromborough) who called me and arranged to come and see the paint at the property. Before visiting though, he verbally offered to replace all the paint for free and upgrade me to a “better version of their paint that wont mark as easily” over the phone. It’s worth adding that our old property, which we still own, has cheap B&Q paint and we tried to mark it being really gentle and it didn’t mark like Bromborough’s paint does, and when we put more force on it and marked it, it too would be good as new with a wet wipe. I’ve also had another painter out to quote in case the original painter got upset with us over the situation and he too said paint should do this and “it looks like something is missing from the paint”.

The Crown rep came out and agreed it shouldn’t mark (he tested it himself using the slightest touch to permanently mark a few walls) and he could see the touch ups and asked to take some of the paint away for testing and we were told we would hear the outcome before Christmas (2014) and that they would contact the painter as he purchased the paint from Bromborough. In the meeting the painter said that nor he or I should be out of pocket, which the Crown rep agreed and asked the painter to submit a quote to them to repainting inside.

Just before Christmas I rang the rep who said they found nothing wrong with the paint when they tested it and they would write to the painter with more information. It’s now the middle of January (2015) and I’ve let a message for the rep and the painter has been down to see them at Bromborough as he’s not received any letter and he thinks they are stalling to see if I go way. I have to add that the paint looks like a dogs dinner, in the lounge for example you can see marks and blobs of paint, this was meant to be our dream home and at the moment I’m embarrassed when friends come around.

The painters wife works at a solicitors which he tells me they have spoken about the situation and they say that the painter has a “contract” with Bromborough, and I have a “contract” with the painter (so to speak, there’s nothing in writing), and they told him to tell me, to sue the painter and he’ll sue Bromborough.

At the moment I’m not sure what to do, to write to Bromborough or Crown or sue the painter or sue Bromborough or Crown. I’m not out to cause trouble, I just want a nicely painted house which I’ve paid for. The painter says he’s happy for me to sue him, as the solicitors has said they “have admitted liability offering to replace all the paint” so when he sues them he should win..

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many many thanks in advance, Scott Smith / Trelogan.

scottsmith

Update

Just an update on this, Crown paints got in touch with me and long story short, they’ve been extremely helpful and provided all the paint again but upgraded us to their highest quality paint called “clean extreme” and also made a large contribution to the costs of another painter painting the affected areas. They even helped find the new painter who was far more professional in every way to the original painter so in the end everything worked out great and my new house looks amazing, really pleased and can’t thank Crown paints enough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">