• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is unacknowledged e-mail a contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

checker758

What is the name of your state? Illinois.

I signed an annual agreement with a small local internet service provider approximately 8 years ago. A few years later the small local ISP was acquired by a larger ISP company in another state (Michigan). I recently notified the company that I wished to cancel my service. I was told that there was a $150 early termination fee for canceling the service outside the 30 day window allowed at the end of the annual term. When I explained that this was not in the terms of my original agreement, I was told that they sent me the new terms, which included this provision, via e-mail in 2001. They may very well have sent me this e-mail (although I haven't been able to find it), but if they did I definitely did not respond to it in any way.

Is this unacknowlegded e-mail altering the terms of the original contract binding?

Thanks.

Scott

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">