• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized access to checking account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Enrique1000

Dallas, Tx.
A life insurance company accessed my checking account and charged $49.50 for a life insurance premium that I did not authorize. A few days after I found out about those unauthorized charges I received a letter in the mail thanking me for using their services. I immediately called them and complained about those charges and demanded my money back. At first they said they couldn't do that because the policy had just gone into effect. I demanded a copy of the contract that I supposedly signed and they told me it would cost $25.00 for doing the research and mailing it to me. When I told them that accesing my checking account without my authorization was illegal they immediately offered a refund. My question is: Can I take any legal action against this company for withdrawing money from my account without my authorization or are they not liable once they give me my money back?

racer72

You got your money back, there is nothing more you can do to the insurance company. Notify your bank that you want a block on all automatic withdrawls except for those that you request in person. It might be a pain the the bottom but it may save you a lot of money.

JETX

I do have to ask one question though... how do you assume that the bank got your COMPLETE banking information (bank name, Routing number, account number, etc.) if you didn't give it to them at SOME time???

E

Enrique1000

To Halket

Apparently that insurance company is affiliated with my bank and that's how they obtained my information because on the paperwork that I received it stated Re: Certificate of Insurance, (and then my bank's name). I just received the paperwork today, and I'm planning to send a strong complaint letter to my bank for sharing my information without my authorization.

Thanks to all for your prompt response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">