• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized Credit Card Payment - WA State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

robbyroo72

Washington State - A company that provided internet access to my father here in Washington has taken, without permission, money out of his credit card account - and also did so without notifying him that they were taking the money out. Would my father have any legal recourse against them? My understanding was that, in Washington State, if money is to be deducted from ones credit or debit card account, verbal and/or written permission must first be received.

A note to this - at one time, My father DID use this credit card to make a payment to this internet company, but he explicitly told them it was a ONE TIME ONLY payment with that card.

Thank You
Robbyroo72

racer72

If he had a contract obligation for the debt and it was past due, there is little that he can do. If there was no obligation your father needs to send them a letter, CRRR, and demand return of the funds. A call or email to the state attorney general's office may help too.

JETX

And if this was done recently (within the past 60 days), he should dispute the payment with his card issuer. This right is given under the FCBA (Fair Credit Billing Act).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">