• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized fuel delivery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KHW1967

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I received an unauthorized fuel delivery today when at work. In prior communications with the company I told them we were no longer using them, but they made a delivery today. What are my rights and options?

KHW1967

They do not have a signed agreement from us on file (this was recorded on a phone call) and my termination request was recorded on a call as well. So we had no written contract with them.

JETX

They do not have a signed agreement from us on file (this was recorded on a phone call) and my termination request was recorded on a call as well. So we had no written contract with them.
So, they were just driving down the street and decided to stop and fill your fuel tank???
What did they say when you contacted them with a THANK YOU???

KHW1967

Why are you being sarcastic? It's not necessary and it's rude. I am asking a legitimate question.

We used to use this company but did not ever have a signed contract. We initiated svc via a call. The ownership of the company transferred to a new group at some point in the past couple years but no notice was made to existing clients.

We have used the gas for a dryer, and have only had the tank filled every other year on average - about 35 gallons. When we needed a fill, we'd call. No problems with this arrangement from about 2001 till January this year, when they sent us a notice saying that 'per our agreement with them' that we were being charged a $65 low-use surcharge since we did not purchase at least 70 gallons annually.

I called and told them we had no such agreement in writing from them and there was nothing on any of the invoices we had from them over the years - this is when we found out the ownership had changed hands.

I told them I was no longer be using them. They were also unable to produce a signed original agreement - they said on a recorded call that they had nothing on file with our signatures on it.

They sent me 2 more statements showing we owed the surcharge and I called again saying I was not going to pay it. They said they had cleared the charge from our account.

Yesterday they delivered propane to us, left an invoice for the fuel and added back the surcharge.

So no, they didn't just appear out of the blue and gift us with a gas delivery.

JETX

Why are you being sarcastic? It's not necessary and it's rude. I am asking a legitimate question.
And you're only giving PART of the facts.... with each post providing only a little more FACTS.
We don't have the time (on a FREE advice site), to wait for you to decide what facts you want to give.

We used to use this company but did not ever have a signed contract. We initiated svc via a call. The ownership of the company transferred to a new group at some point in the past couple years but no notice was made to existing clients.
So, there WAS an agreement in place?? Though it certainly helps, a 'supply agreement' does not have to be in writing.

Okay, let's cut to the chase....
Your options are:
1) Call them and tell them to remove their unauthorized delivery, or
2) Pay them.

Your choice.

KHW1967

You need classes in etiquette.

I gave an overview initially to try to save everyone the effort of a long-winded saga - not trying to intentionally give part of the facts. I believe you refer to this as cutting to the chase.

I didn't realize (as a first time user) that we need to placate the advisors.

BL

You are being advised on what to do .

You can call the CO. demand they come and take their fuel back and do NOT deliver again ( followed up with a letter RRR Certified mail- keeping a copy and receipt of delivery ) , or pay them .

Alternatively if you want to wait around for possibly a month or so to attempt results through a third party ,you can file a complaint with your local Office Of Attorney General-Consumer Affairs .

Provide them with copies of invoices with them taking off surcharges and putting them back on , etc. with your complaint you have provided here .

Although taking off surcharged could have been a courtesy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">