• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uncharged retail sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anthrp

i live in mo. i purchased carpet and linoleum at a retailer, put down a deposit, my husband went back to pick up the linoleum. he was not charged for the remaining bill. the retailer gave him the floor, he left. two days later, the carpet installer for the retailer came and installed our carpet. we paid him for his services. he said nothing about the remaining amount to the retailer. we were so busy doing home remodelling, neither my husband nor myself realized we did not pay for the rest of the bill. i thought my husband paid it, he thought i paid it, since the retailer didn't charge him and simply had him sign for the floor and let him leave. my question is, if the retailer calls us and demands we pay for the remaining balance are we liable for the bill, since this was the retailer's error and not ours.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I'll give you two guesses and the first guess doesn't count.

Really, this is not a matter of law, so much as it is a matter of honesty and knowing right from wrong. Do what you'd expect someone would do to you, and do what your parents presumably taught you when you were growing up.

You don't need a reference to a Criminal or Civil law; although, I'm sure there is one or two. So, before it gets to that point, do the right thing.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 07-02-2001 at 06:18 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">