• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unfair billing by utility co.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

karena

Mine and my neighbors houses were completed about the same time (2 years) Our NY utility company just informed us that due to their error, we have been billed for each others electricity. Apparently someone in the office mixed up our meter numbers. Of course ours is much higher and we are being asked to reimburse the utility co. for the difference for a period of one year. Of course we feel this is totally unfair because it is not our fault and we paid the bills sent us. Are we responsible? Any advise, please

racer72

I would assume this is based on your neighbors being refunded the overpayments they made. That leaves a bill that must be paid. You probably do not have any legal recourse but to pay the bill. The one year period is most likely as far back as the law will allow them to go or they would have come after you for the whole 2 years. Because it was their error, they my be willing to work out an interest free payment plan for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">