• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured home improvement work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mmanley1

What is the name of your state? I'm in Ohio. I want to have a roof and screening put over and around my deck. Problem being no "company" is interested in returning a phone call.. so I have an unemployed carpenter who is willing to do this. I trust his skills, problem is he is not insured or bonded. My homeowner's ins. will not cover any injury to him if I am paying him.

My concern is the liability of his possible injury and liability of possible damage to my property.

Is it possible to draw up a LEGAL document that will, among other things, state that we are not liable for any injury he sustains while on our property during the job and the he is liable for any damage done to our property?

Should it be done by a lawyer or could we have it noterized??

Thanks..
Mike

HomeGuru

mmanley1 said:
What is the name of your state? I'm in Ohio. I want to have a roof and screening put over and around my deck. Problem being no "company" is interested in returning a phone call.. so I have an unemployed carpenter who is willing to do this. I trust his skills, problem is he is not insured or bonded. My homeowner's ins. will not cover any injury to him if I am paying him.

My concern is the liability of his possible injury and liability of possible damage to my property.

Is it possible to draw up a LEGAL document that will, among other things, state that we are not liable for any injury he sustains while on our property during the job and the he is liable for any damage done to our property?

Should it be done by a lawyer or could we have it noterized??

Thanks..
Mike
**A: Yes, you can, but that document will no tbe worth the paper it is written on if the worker gets hurt and still sues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">