• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unique situation regarding denist and divorce.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryanroma

What is the name of your state? California.

Well let me begin by saying that I seperated from my wife in February. My ex-wife's mother is business manager for a dentist in Nevada that offered to do dental work (veneers) for just the cost of lab fees. I accepted the gift and now have a sparkling smile....HOWEVER, since seperating from my wife, I received an invoice to pay for the full amount of the dental work, totalling $6600.00. On the invoice it shows a zero balance as of January 24, 2005. Then remarkably on March 14, 2005 my invoice states I have a "Increase Patient Balance" of 6600.00, coincidentally right after seperating from my wife, her daughter.

Is this something that I am required to pay legally? This was a gift from the dentist and my Mother-In-Law, and I would not have done it had I had to pay the full amount for the work.

PLEASE HELP....THANK YOU!

divgradcurl

ryanroma said:
What is the name of your state? California.

Well let me begin by saying that I seperated from my wife in February. My ex-wife's mother is business manager for a dentist in Nevada that offered to do dental work (veneers) for just the cost of lab fees. I accepted the gift and now have a sparkling smile....HOWEVER, since seperating from my wife, I received an invoice to pay for the full amount of the dental work, totalling $6600.00. On the invoice it shows a zero balance as of January 24, 2005. Then remarkably on March 14, 2005 my invoice states I have a "Increase Patient Balance" of 6600.00, coincidentally right after seperating from my wife, her daughter.

Is this something that I am required to pay legally? This was a gift from the dentist and my Mother-In-Law, and I would not have done it had I had to pay the full amount for the work.

PLEASE HELP....THANK YOU!

The dentist could sue you for the unpaid balance, and probably can make you come to Nevada to defend yourself (assuming the work was done in Nevada). The invoices and the like may be enough to prove that the veneers were a "gift" -- if you can show the veneers were in fact a gift, you'll be off the hook.

rmet4nzkx

When did you have the work done? Was your conversation with the dentist offering the "gift" or just your MIL? Did she know you were separated or planning of separating at the time? You are still separated, she is not your ex yet BTW, stbx (soon to be ex) is the term.

ryanroma

Well...

Regarding the "unpaid balance"...I had no balance at all, I had payed the lab fees and my balance was at zero.

As per proving they were a gift, what would be the most appropriate way to do that?

The work was done last June! I haven't had any work done since then. We were somewhat seperated at the time. We were going through a rough spot and had actually signed divorce papers before deciding to give it one more shot. That was around when I had the work done.

(I will remember STBX, thanks)

Thank you so much for your advice, this is amazing....

G

gpf

You were charged over $6000 for veneers??? How many did you have done? How much did you pay for the lab work? The dentist probably never knew about your gift. The front end girl (mother in law) is probably the only one that knew what was going on and to tell you the truth--she probably was about to get caught. If you paid more than $150.00 for each veneer you probably paid too much. There are a world of different materials that the veneers can be made from--just depends what the dentist wanted. Did you see the lab bill? Knowing how some dentists are--he probaply still made money off of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">