• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

University failed to bill pre-paid college fund; fund now transferred to other benefi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

khorn

This question is to see if I have any recourse against a University for their failure to bill a 3rd party organization. Had the University billed in an appropriate time frame, the purchaser of a prepaid college fund would not have been able to change the beneficiary because of an existing claim/payout.

Do I have the right or legal position to ask the University to honor the remaining contract of 7 paid semesters even though they can no longer collect from the 3rd party? I attended in Fall 2011, the fund was transferred in Summer 2012.

Thanks

LdiJ

This question is to see if I have any recourse against a University for their failure to bill a 3rd party organization. Had the University billed in an appropriate time frame, the purchaser of a prepaid college fund would not have been able to change the beneficiary because of an existing claim/payout.

Do I have the right or legal position to ask the University to honor the remaining contract of 7 paid semesters even though they can no longer collect from the 3rd party? I attended in Fall 2011, the fund was transferred in Summer 2012.

Thanks
You are going to have to explain the situation better.

Just Blue

Thanks
U.S. Law Only. Please name your STATE in the United States> Thanks!! :rolleyes:

khorn

You are going to have to explain the situation better.
My grandfather purchased a prepaid college fund for me in 1999. 6 months before he died the beneficiary was changed from me to another family member (questionable as to whether he actually did it or his wife forged his signature). The point being, had the University billed for the 1/2 semester attended, the transfer would not have been able to go through due to the rules of the fund. Do I have any grounds to request the University to give me 7 semesters (remainder of the fund had it been billed) or am I SOL?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My grandfather purchased a prepaid college fund for me in 1999. 6 months before he died the beneficiary was changed from me to another family member (questionable as to whether he actually did it or his wife forged his signature). The point being, had the University billed for the 1/2 semester attended, the transfer would not have been able to go through due to the rules of the fund. Do I have any grounds to request the University to give me 7 semesters (remainder of the fund had it been billed) or am I SOL?
You will need to pay for classes. It's really that simple.

LdiJ

You are SOL as far as the University is concerned. You may be able to take action against your grandfather's wife if you have any kind of evidence to indicate that she fraudulently had the beneficiary changed.

khorn

Thank you all for your time.

Regarding evidence about fraudulent transfer, I am getting the response from the trust company "blah, blah, blah. Privacy of the purchaser." However, he's been dead since January. Is the privacy policy still applicable? I've requested copies of the initial documents and transfer document to see if the signatures are the same.

OHRoadwarrior

I keep trying to get access to Elvis's finances and haven't had any luck. Seriously, no you are not permitted to access his records, dead or not, absent court authorization.

pete1956

you can inquire to your grandfather's estate as to what his wishes were. Ask the executor to provide this information to you. The executor is ethically compelled to fairly distribute your grandfather's assets and adhere to his wishes according to his will or states laws. in the end you may have grounds to sue the executor of your grandfather's estate and to force his estate to pay your bills..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">