• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unknowingly purchased laptop over a year back.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sualexansx

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Hello,

I purchased a Dell laptop in Dec 2001 from a seller on Ebay for 1440$ (payment via Discover credit card)

I did do what I believed was sufficient legwork before buying from this seller, (looked at feedback which was predominantly positive 3 negatives and 544 positives and comparing the requested price range to what existed in the market and so believed this wasn't a gray market or problem item since they were comparable)

Now yesterday when I contacted Dell for a warranty related issue, I was told this laptop was reported stolen! I immediately send them email requestiing them for information on what I should next since they must have had scenarios like this happen before.

So now my questions here are:

1) What should be my course of action outside of dealing with
Dell ? I really wish that the rightful owner of this should get it
back.

2) Also in MA, is there any protection afforded to me considering
the above facts ? What about my liability for this purchase ?

3) If Dell requests me to return this laptop, should I bring my
credit-card company into the picture before doing so ? (since I
believe they provide some protection though I'm not clear on
how much or for how long)

I'd highly appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks,
sualexansx

JETX

"1) What should be my course of action outside of dealing with Dell ? I really wish that the rightful owner of this should get it back."
*** Do you know who the computer was stolen from?? If so, contact them and let them know that you have their computer. Provide any information on the seller that they need. Then, of course, you will have to return the computer to its rightful owner (or the insurance company that 'purchased' it on settlement).

"2) Also in MA, is there any protection afforded to me considering the above facts ? What about my liability for this purchase ?"
*** If you are concerned about your facing charges due to the computer, simply show that you acquired the merchandise at an honest sale. There shouldn't be any repercussions. As for 'liability', what do you mean?? To who?? For What??

"3) If Dell requests me to return this laptop, should I bring my credit-card company into the picture before doing so ? (since I believe they provide some protection though I'm not clear on
how much or for how long)"
*** I would certainly contact your credit card company and let them know the situation. However, they have no direct involvement in the sale.

S

sualexansx

Re:

"1) What should be my course of action outside of dealing with Dell ? I really wish that the rightful owner of this should get it back."

*** Do you know who the computer was stolen from?? If so, contact them and let them know that you have their computer. Provide any information on the seller that they need. Then, of course, you will have to return the computer to its rightful owner (or the insurance company that 'purchased' it on settlement).

>>>> I don't know who it was stolen from. I've send email to Dell
requesting them for this info (since I asssumed that if they have the information that it's stolen, they must also have the owner details)

"2) Also in MA, is there any protection afforded to me considering the above facts ? What about my liability for this purchase ?"

*** If you are concerned about your facing charges due to the computer, simply show that you acquired the merchandise at an honest sale. There shouldn't be any repercussions. As for 'liability', what do you mean?? To who?? For What??

>>> I'm actually concerned of two things :
- Being in trouble for purchasing this computer. While at the time
I bought this (and till yesterday!!) I had not a clue this was
stolen, now that I do know, am I legally obliged to turn it in to
the local police station asap ?

And yes what you suggested here sounds good. The only
other possible "gotcha" in attempting to show that I acquired
the merchandise at an honest sale seems to be that Ebay does
not store details beyond the fact that a transaction was
completed for a certain amount on a certain date (and the
seller/buyer id and their comments)
It does not specify what the item was and neither do the
comments.
Also the receipt that I was issued does not state the item name
but the total amount etc.
So I'm wondering if I'll have to "prove" that the item purchased
here was indeed the laptop.
(I do have an email or two from the seller id hoping I enjoy my
computer and thanking me for payment)

- Loosing out on the entire amount of my purchase (1440$).
This is why I was wondering if I should bring my credit card
company into the picture since I was hoping I might be able to
regain at least a part of my loss. Possibly Ebay too, though
I KNOW this will probably be a waste of time/effort.

"3) If Dell requests me to return this laptop, should I bring my credit-card company into the picture before doing so ? (since I believe they provide some protection though I'm not clear on
how much or for how long)"

*** I would certainly contact your credit card company and let them know the situation. However, they have no direct involvement in the sale.
>>> Thanks. This seems to be the right thing to do also. *sigh*
Looong hold times here I come..

Thanks for your advice!
sualexansx

JETX

Okay, lets try to do these one at a time.

1) The property is stolen. As such, you have no rights of ownership and must surrender to the proper owner upon request. The owner could be the individual, or his/her insurance company if they paid on a claim. Further, since this is out of town, I see no need for involving your local PD. Find out the owner from Dell (security) and handle accordingly.

2) I doubt that you have any chance of 'being in trouble'. I would assume that you are concerned about 'receiving stolen goods'. That isn't charged unless the prosecution has a strong sense that you knew (or should have known) it was stolen at the time of purchase. Based on your post, I don't see that happening.

3) Neither your credit card or eBay are going to help you on any loss you might incur. In fact, given the nature of computer prices dropping so quickly, it might even be possible for you to purchase the computer from the 'owner' when he/she comes forward. As to recovering any money, your only hopes are to file a lawsuit against the individual, or to hope that he/she is prosecuted with restitution required.

4) As to your credit card involvement, some of the premium programs (Gold, Platinum and Titanium cards) do offer some type of protection in the case of specific happenstances. Whether yours does, and whether it would apply here, can only be determined by contacting the card issuer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">