• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unknowingly signed a Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

judybug

I live in Texas and recently decided to "rent" a satellite through a local company. The deal offered 2 free recievers and installation with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. If we didn't like the satellite system we would have to pay for the month we used the service. The man I spoke with told me I needed to have a credit card. I told him I would pay in cash, but he stated they needed it for credit purposes and would not charge the card. He said I could write the check for the first month( that's what you had to pay for up front). So, they came and installed the system. My husband was there and the technician gave him our contract and reciept for the first month. He took and imprint of the credit card (again stating that it would not be charged.) He asked my husband to sign the reciept and was on his way. Well, 2 weeks later we decided we did not like the satellite and were going to switch back to cable. I read the contract and it stated if you wish to cancel you will not be refunded your month that you already paid. Which was fine. I called the company to cancel, and they stated they would disconnect the service and that I needed to call the installer to come pick up the equipment and they gave me that number. I made the appt. they came and got their stuff and that was that. Until 2 months later I was looking at my husbands bank statement and it had a credit card charge from the installation company for $432.99. I immediatly called and asked what this was about. They stated that because we did not keep a 12 month subscription with the company we were being charged for the installation. I was furious and read the contract the technian gave me and she stated that is the contract with the programmer not with the installer. I said but I do not have a contract with you. She said did you receive a receipt when the installer came and that on that receipt it list 6 things that is a contract. So, sure enough on this receipt in small microscopic print it states you will have to pay this amount if you do not keep your service for 12 months. I told her I did not agree to these terms. It was never once stated in any conversation with them or the technician. She said did you sign that yellow receipt? At first I didn't think my husband had because it said my name. I knew he wouldn't sign my name because it is his business credit card and I am not even on that account. After speaking with this with my husband, he says the guy said here is your contract and I need you to sign this receipt. So he thought he had to sign my name because my name was on the receipt. I asked if the technician told him anything about any of these stipulations he said no. I want to know if we have a case here? This is not right. I have been scammed. I thought the contract was with the one we received (not on the receipt). I thought a contract had to be mutual. Is it a contract? Please let me know if we have ANY recourse? I'm desperate! judybug in Texas

J

jessjustry

It is a shame that companys can do this to someone and get by with ripping people off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">