• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlicensed use of an image on a website....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

celloshred

CALIFORNIA

My friend received a c&d letter from a company regarding an image on friends website that wasnt licensed. They were asked to remove it, which they did promptly. A few weeks later they received a letter demanding $2300 for this offense. I think the company may be based on Canada. There has not been a case filed with any court.

a) with the image already removed and not used for any type of revenue generation, do they have a claim? they dont remember where the image even originated from.

b) if we send them a check for a smaller amount and hand write a restrictive endorsement on the back i.e. "By cashing this check, company X accepts face amount as settlement in full and releases us from any current and future claims", does that work?

Thank you

Michael

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">