• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Hospital Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Llya

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My Friend and I was visiting the US in 2003. She was rushed to the hospital due to severe dizziness. She was accommodated and did some test on her. She was diagnosed to have vertigo. Left the hospital and did not know who or how it was settled. She was too sick to know.

She went back to her home country and then our friend where we stayed in the US,after almost one year came by, sent her a letter from the hospital. It is the SOA (statement of account).

My friend quickly communicated with the hospital and asked how can she pay for it. The hospital asked her to pay $100/month. She said she cannot pay it soonest but will make it work since she was shifting careers then.

When she contacted the hospital again. She found out it was already closed.

We are visiting the US again this year, i was wondering what could be the implication once she set foot there.

I am worried for her. She doesnt know what to do. She said she is willing to settle it but couldnt possibly do the whole amount. What can she do regarding her situation.

Please help us.

Thanks

Last edited:

Proserpina

Debts are civil matters in the US - she will be fine entering the country provided she's otherwise legally able to do so.

(in other words an outstanding debt will not cause a problem)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">